Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

DI Donnelly Auto-Dim Mirror Failure and Toxic Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
No you cannot get a windshield without the mount.
No you cannot "custom" order a Land Rover windshield with the GM mount.
Yes I have already looked into all of the different angles.
I even went to the Gentex factory and talked to their R&D guys.
They hooked up my mirror for free, took them 30 min total.

Your best bet for a aftermarket mirror is to get the one you want for a GM car or truck.
Run all the wiring and then have your windshield replaced and ask the glass guy to mount your new mirror for you.
They always have the GM button in their vans.
you sure? i just saw one at the junk yard today with no mount on the windshield... though i'll likely just mount right below a dII mirror and paint that mount black so its not noticeable haha.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Nice to see you here!
haha whats up man, thought your name looked familiar. hows your truck coming along?

Last edited by dansgt; 10-11-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Mudding

I bought a Gentex (they make the DII mirror) mirror with auto dim as well as compass and temp off of Craig's List for $100.
Works great.
Do you know the model of that?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dangst-the "button" falls off windshields from time to time, thats why the auto parts stores sell the DIY repair kits, they do not work for this heavy of a mirror.
Believe me or dont, you cannot buy a brand new windshield without the button.

Garrett-the model of the mirror I bought?
http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK21A.../dp/B001H9ZD1O

Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Mudding

Dangst-the "button" falls off windshields from time to time, thats why the auto parts stores sell the DIY repair kits, they do not work for this heavy of a mirror.
Believe me or dont, you cannot buy a brand new windshield without the button.
makes sense. either way imma do what you did and grab a dII mirror, though i'll probably just go with a compass and not both.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dansgt
makes sense. either way imma do what you did and grab a dII mirror, though i'll probably just go with a compass and not both.
You do not understand, I did NOT get a DII mirror, I bought the mirror I linked to, off of Craig's List, brand new unopened.
That is different than a DII mirror.
The DII mirror has the compass only and I do not know if it will work with a DI or not.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Mudding

haha wow im smart maybe i should read better lol. any idea what car that came out of?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not understand, I did NOT get a DII mirror, I bought the mirror I linked to, off of Craig's List, brand new unopened.
That is different than a DII mirror.
The DII mirror has the compass only and I do not know if it will work with a DI or not.
works fine. The button is a little different than the d1, so you have to do a little to make it fit. mines been on almost a year without issue at this point. I should have taken pictures of how I did it but you can do it with too.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dansgt
haha wow im smart maybe i should read better lol. any idea what car that came out of?
The mirror I bought? It was brand new unopened, they will fit any car or truck you want as long as you have the correct mount on the windshield.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An update for those interested. I have begun the mirror refurb exchange program with Sybesmas Electronics. I had to remove the old mirror to take photos, which was easier than expected, just a sharp tug down parallel to the plane of the windshield.There is a form to complete and a few photos of the mirror front and back, the mirror mount, and the electrical connector to submit so they can identify what you have and replace it with an exact duplicate. The charge is $79.00 plus shipping which I find pretty reasonable given that the replacement will use the new gel technology instead of the nasty fluid, and that it will mount perfectly and plug right up. I emailed everything to them and they will check the photos and form I sent in to make sure they have what they need to ID the mirror, then contact me for payment. They will then ship me a replacement mirror along with postage paid label for the core I will return. Unfortunately, they will not upgrade the mirror to a different model with temp and compass features. I will post back after the mirror arrives.

Last edited by jigray3; 10-22-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exact replacement mirror arrived today from Sybesmas, slid it in place, pig tail snapped together, powered it up and the auto dimming works perfectly. Hard to tell it's refurbished, and the service was easy and quick. I'm happy and would recommend this process to anyone.

Quick Reply: DI Donnelly Auto-Dim Mirror Failure and Toxic Fluid