Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diagnostic Tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diagnostic Tools

I need some help selecting a diagnostic tool for a 1997 Discovery, I was looking at the Hawkeye Diagnostic Tool with the required dongle...

Hawkeye Diagnostic Tool For Land Rovers (Same Fit As Genuine Part # BA5070)
Hawkeye Diagnostic Green Dongle - 10AS GEMS Security System Management (Part # BA5076) - Land Rover diagnostics from Atlantic British

I'm sure everyone knows why a person buys these, so I won’t waste your time and explain the obvious

The question is, is this a wise purchase, or can anyone suggest another capable tool?

Thank you!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it... Hawkeye's are awesome but in most cases seem overkill...

Many have touted the ultragauge (UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center)

For me I picked up a 10$ ELM327 bluetooth reader and run realtime stats to my tablet with Torque... (File:Torquehand.jpg - Torque OBD2 Wiki) This thing helped me to diagnose the failing VSS, and will read/clear codes etc. It cannot talk to the other parts of the car without furhter programming (abs for example)

Old 11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Thank you for replying...

Originally Posted by nuclearw
I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it... Hawkeye's are awesome but in most cases seem overkill...
I'm glad you said that I was thinking the same thing, and because I'm new at this, I wasn't sure if it would be worth the initial investment.

Originally Posted by nuclearw
Many have touted the ultragauge (UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center)

For me I picked up a 10$ ELM327 bluetooth reader and run realtime stats to my tablet with Torque... (File:Torquehand.jpg - Torque OBD2 Wiki) This thing helped me to diagnose the failing VSS, and will read/clear codes etc. It cannot talk to the other parts of the car without furhter programming (abs for example)
Cool, thank you! I will check those out

Old 11-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1NV0N28520 heres the reader i got.. its a lil on the bulky side but they have smaller ones.

The "official" one is around 100 i can dig up the link if you like

Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The hawkeye has an adaptor for OBD1 guys like me, does it still function like the ultra gauge?

Old 11-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I have been going back and forth on this, but since I have 2 rear door windows that don't work, ABS brakes that don't work, and who knows what will happen next, I think I may just go the route of the Hawkeye. Looking for a used one but have not seen any yet.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as someone owns their Rover, they're not going to sell their Hawkeye. :-)

Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Pro Wrench

I was thinking more along the lines of someone who has sold their Rover (not that I would do that of course) or has some other reason for selling a used Hawkeye...

Old 11-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimvw57
I have been going back and forth on this, but since I have 2 rear door windows that don't work, ABS brakes that don't work, and who knows what will happen next, I think I may just go the route of the Hawkeye. Looking for a used one but have not seen any yet.
Funny you should say that, I have the same problem

I wish I knew for sure if it would actually help me, I know it will give great information, but I'm a little new to working on Rovers, so I will need all of the help I can get

Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Have not dug into the windows yet, it could be a cable unplugged, blown fuse or a bad lockout switch.Might not get to it until next summer (warmer weather) right now it is about 10 degrees ...

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Tools