Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff/Lock High Low Shift Knob Lever just spins???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

note to discomedic4 - the link is not appearing, but I did include it earlier in the discussion. Hope he gets a copy.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd just like to ask what exactly does the OP mean by "the ****?lever just spins." Are you talking about the shift **** with the H pattern on top spinning around in circles? Or are you saying the shifter is moving around the H pattern freely and easily without any noticeable affect on the driving characteristics?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the shift **** with the H pattern.....

I have had many 4x4...but this is all new with the Diff/Lock...never had that on any of my past 4x4. Mechanically I know enough to get by....(thats about it) LOL

Thank you

Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Savannah are you on the mobile site or on the actual website? Signatures don't appear for me on the mobile site. I wonder if it doesn't post my signature if I am posting from the mobile site also. I will check when I get home. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I downloaded the Rave Link and will be looking at it shortly

Thank you

Old 08-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many of you that responded have actually had the console out and dealt with the CDL Linkage?

The long piece he is referring to could only be the actual linkage arm that goes from the top of the shift linkage to the selector at the bottom that actually engages/disengages the "lock" in Center Diff Lock (CDL).

I know because I had mine completely apart and resolved the "Frozen" CDL problem when I first bought my 97.

Click on the pics link in my signature or do a search on the CDL Shifter on our forum and you will find all the details. Rotation of the selector plate is achieve when the linkage is moved.

Another thing that can prevent the light functioning even when the CDL is Locked is the plunger in the CDL Switch mounted on the transfer case. When the yoke inside the transfer case lock the center diff, the plunger is depressed to turn the dash light on, if the switch goes bad (as mine did) the light will never come on.

Land Rover Discovery I Transmission Levers, Linkage Parts Available from RoversNorth.com

The above link shows the entire linkage. Item 18 is the long piece. It rotates item 35 to Lock the CDL. Item 39 turns the light on to tell you the CDL is Locked. Item 31 joins item 18 to item 35. That is the chain of parts involved in Locking the CDL and turning the light on. I know because I fixed all of the above on mine using the page shown.

Removal of the center console is required. Mine now hass an access panel in the side of the tunnel in the passengers footwell that I put in to get my big 2xl+ size hand in to replace item 39.

If you can access item 35, rotating it clockwise will unlock the CDL, ccw rotation locks the CDL.

The above is CDL 101, all Discovery owners should study it carefully. Tuition can be sent via PAYPAL to dannyleebullseye@hotmail.com

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 08-25-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Winching

I'm right there with you DannyLee. I have torn into mine as well and I am pretty familiar. That's why I told him to download the Rave and then get back to us. If he doesn't we will be speaking Greek to him. No point in speculating right now.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Winching

BTW Savannah I figured out that post from my iPhone on the mobile site don't post my signature. Thanks again for the heads up.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the way that the ROVERS NORTH page shows and provides nomenclaturre for all the individual parts and pieces.

Here is one of the pics from my album in my signature link that shows the long linkage piece and the selector plate at the bottom.

12-30-08 036 pictures from rides photos on webshots

The first time that I actually got mine to engage, I had already completely torn down, replaced parts, greased, and reassembled the top portion of mine but it still would not engtage. I put a socket with an extension on a speed handle and was attempting to remove the nut in the center of the selector. CCW rotation of the selector nut actually moved the entire linkage, moving the shift handle toward the driver's seat. The light would not come on until the switch was also replaced.

I learned all about the "Frozen CDL" syndrome at that point.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by srfnsno99
Yes the shift **** with the H pattern.....

I have had many 4x4...but this is all new with the Diff/Lock...never had that on any of my past 4x4. Mechanically I know enough to get by....(thats about it) LOL

Thank you
I'm going to PM you because I need a few more questions answered.
Thanks,
Paul

Quick Reply: Diff/Lock High Low Shift Knob Lever just spins???