Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff lock lever question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010 | 02:14 PM
|
Mudding
Default Diff lock lever question!

I'm preparing my Tcase/Transmission for re-install. The question is, When the t-case is in the open/full-time position, is the lever in the cabin supposed to be straight up & down (90* to the console) or should it be at an angle, with the **** toward the passenger? (I have a USA LHD model)

The reason I ask is two-fold:

1) the diff-lock actuator on the t-case has 3 positions when I turn it with a wrench. However, in its full range of movement, my lever can only access 2 of them. Diff-locked (**** toward the driver) & the middle position (**** straight up); to get to the third position, the **** would have to move toward the passenger. I have taken the lever apart & I can't get the lever to move past the straight up position.

2) The reason I'm having to change the t-case/transmission is because the old one didn't disengage from being diff-locked, & I blew out the transmission when turning a corner. The situation above now has me wondering if my lever not being able to slide farther to the right (pass) & access that 3rd position was the reason my t-case didn't unlock? I want to address this issue now, so I don't have to replace the transmission again next week!

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2010 | 03:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It should be at an angle, sloped towards the rear and off to the passenger side when in hi range, unlocked

Old 07-31-2010 | 03:45 PM
|
Mudding

Thanks! I'll be shopping the 'yards for a new lever on Monday!

Old 07-31-2010 | 07:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The diff lever is common to seize on disco's. If you're center counsol is out, or you're ok with taking it out, you can hose it down with pb blaster a bunch of times and try and work the lever loose. If that works, you could then grease it up.

But the linkage could be bent on the other hand also. They are kinda flimsy.

Old 08-01-2010 | 01:18 PM

Man,

Do I feel for you, youtrashed a tranny bcause your diff lock would not disengage?

You most liely do not need a junkyard lever, it is not th lever tself, it is all the little linkage pivot points, clips, and clevis pins.

As you move the lever from side to side, there are only two positions, LOCK and UNLOCK.

The same lever has three positions fore and aft but not side to side. High, Neutral, and Low.

You should be able to go side to side at any time, any speed, any gear.

To go fore and aft, the tranny must be in neutral to shift the transfer case from high to neutral to low. (3 positions)

The linkages tend to corrode and freeze. Study the drawings in the RAVE under the parts breakdown. I did a complete teardown, clean, lube and reassembly on mine.