Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Differential Housing Case

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah so I parked her in front of the house. When I let go of the gas it makes this rubbing sound, when I press the brakes it goes away. Parked her, calling different shops now to see who can give me a diagnostic.

EDIT:
Went to a mechanic and he took a drive with me. Showed him how it only made the noise when I was coasting and stopped when I was braking. It also helped me brake sometimes like I had extra braking power. Next he put it on a lift, checked out the tie rods and noticed first off my bearings were loose and that my FRONT, rear tie rod was loose and the bushings was bad. Told me he was very sure that was the reason and didn't charge me for diagnostics. He even went to the store with me to get the right parts. So I spent $60 on 4 wheel bearings (I know I could have just repacked the old ones but at least I don't have to worry), tie rod, and a mini-bucket of wheel bearing grease. Going to try to do the bearings at least tomorrow.

Last edited by calebbo; 01-26-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default again...wow

unless we are dealing with the "magic bullet theory" here I just don't see how solving a probable wheel bearing issue, worn tie rod ends and bushings explains away how something blew a HOLE in the Diff housing from the inside as you stated.

Based on the mileage and other problems you have described in the past doing the bearings and TRE's is honestly the best thing I have heard you do to service your rig thus far.

patching /welding over a HOLE in a pumpkin without determining the internal cause by closely inspecting the diff gears, bearings and pins was nutty my young friend.

I find myself wishing you bought a Jeep as your first project car...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is what your differential looks like out of the truck.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1994-1...bly-front.aspx
It is pretty easy to remove and you can only do a through inspection by removing it.
If you drain the fluid and no chunks fall out you might be ok...for now.
But you definitely shortened the life of the diff by running it dry.
You knew it was leaking, you should have at the very least checked the fluid level and filled it everytime you wanted to drive it.
These trucks are very durable and more forgiving than they ever needed to be.

Last edited by Spike555; 01-26-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So on a related note if/when that front diff blows what all will go with it? just the differential or could that damage your center diff. or tranny? I've never had the pleasure of experiencing such an event.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Henrici
So on a related note if/when that front diff blows what all will go with it? just the differential or could that damage your center diff. or tranny? I've never had the pleasure of experiencing such an event.
That all depends on how fast you're going, if your turning, etc.
If you are lucky all you do is strip the spider gear and the front axle just free wheels, if you are not lucky then it could take out more than what the truck is worth.
CV joints, axle shafts, drive shaft not to mention because it is on the steer axle if the wheels lock up while you are on the expressway and its raining or snowing you could skid out of control and crash or worse yet take out a innocent by stander.
Then you could have a law suit on your hands because you already knew there was a problem so you are totally at fault and liable for everything upto and including involuntary manslaughter.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
... you are totally at fault and liable for everything upto and including involuntary manslaughter.
Damn dude!!! tryin' to scare the kid or what? good one Phil

Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Mudding
Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Damn dude!!! tryin' to scare the kid or what? good one Phil
It was the longest night of his life...get busy living or get busy dyin'...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Mudding

It was the longest night of his life...get busy living or get busy dyin'...

Hahaha great movie! hopefully calebbo stays away from the sisters hahahahaha.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
unless we are dealing with the "magic bullet theory" here I just don't see how solving a probable wheel bearing issue, worn tie rod ends and bushings explains away how something blew a HOLE in the Diff housing from the inside as you stated.

Based on the mileage and other problems you have described in the past doing the bearings and TRE's is honestly the best thing I have heard you do to service your rig thus far.

patching /welding over a HOLE in a pumpkin without determining the internal cause by closely inspecting the diff gears, bearings and pins was nutty my young friend.

I find myself wishing you bought a Jeep as your first project car...
Well I don't think it blew. Now that I think about it when I said no damage what so ever I was talking about body damage. I never checked to see the damage that could have been done to the differentials. I mean it's not like I went head in, I slid in sideways but not as daunting as it sounds. The only bad thing with the slide in was I could not steer out (I didn't slam my brakes btw) and I couldn't ROVER out. It wasn't like I was flying down the high way and spun out into a ditch. I could have hit a rock or something? That would also explain why my wheel bearings and tie rod came loose right? The only thing I can't figure out is why the problems now? The differential never made any noise until it ran dry 10ft outside of the shop (yeah I actually made sure I had fluid, I could feel it when I stuck my finger in through the fill hole. Though not EVERY time I drove I did it periodically) And I did the 60K Tune Up alone. Don't know if that helped my case or not but just throwing it out there. And I don't think welding it shut was as nutty as you make it seem. Sure I should have checked it out thoroughly. But I couldn't. Didn't have the resources at the time. Since if the differential was fine anyways, I would have had to weld it shut in the end right? So I welded it shut before I knew if it was okay. Saved me from refilling after every day right? When I do the bearings and tie end I will take a look at it. Probably won't be till next week though. I don't have free time and the shop I use for free is not open till next week since they are helping me and other people train for my skills usa tourney coming up. And a jeep is overplayed in my opinion. They cost more than a Land Rover, everybody has one, and most have that terrible shake when you hit the high way
I like Claire just the way she is, running but always needing something. Keeps me busy, out of trouble, and interested! I gotta say I haven't had to do so much repair work than on her. Everything else has been performance but THIS IS SO MUCH FUN TO ME!
Here is what your differential looks like out of the truck.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1994-1...bly-front.aspx
It is pretty easy to remove and you can only do a through inspection by removing it.
If you drain the fluid and no chunks fall out you might be ok...for now.
But you definitely shortened the life of the diff by running it dry.
You knew it was leaking, you should have at the very least checked the fluid level and filled it everytime you wanted to drive it.
These trucks are very durable and more forgiving than they ever needed to be.
I was going through the RAVE to see how to do it. Do I take off the entire front axle? Not that I thoroughly read it just in between assignments and lunch breaks. I barely have time to keep you guys updated on this but I try, I need all the help I can get.
That all depends on how fast you're going, if your turning, etc.
If you are lucky all you do is strip the spider gear and the front axle just free wheels, if you are not lucky then it could take out more than what the truck is worth.
CV joints, axle shafts, drive shaft not to mention because it is on the steer axle if the wheels lock up while you are on the expressway and its raining or snowing you could skid out of control and crash or worse yet take out a innocent by stander.
Then you could have a law suit on your hands because you already knew there was a problem so you are totally at fault and liable for everything up to and including involuntary manslaughter.
Um.. scary..

Quick Reply: Differential Housing Case