Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Differential Housing Case

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Proceed slowly so you don't spend a lot of money on parts you don't need and stick to the best quality as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
X2 on not Masterpro bearings. I worked at O'Reilly for 7 years, and I know what brands NOT to buy from the number of warranties.
Okay, how is the return policy? I need to find the receipt. If I can't do I get store credit or can I still get my money back because I am in the system?

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Proceed slowly so you don't spend a lot of money on parts you don't need and stick to the best quality as well.
From RoverGuy seems like a lot of people say it is a good place to look.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Okay, how is the return policy? I need to find the receipt. If I can't do I get store credit or can I still get my money back because I am in the system?.

OMG! You can't find the receipt?! You're SCREWED!!! j/k
If you gave your phone number when you checked out, for any kind of warranty, you will be good to go. Even if you didn't give your phone number, take the parts in and ask to return them. Remembering roughly the date you bought them is helpful. When all else fails, ask for the manager or throw a complete tantrum. Most managers just want to keep you happy enough to buy more from their store, and quickly get rid of people that are causing a scene (by giving them a refund, even if it's not legit).

Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W00t! 3rd Member WITH differential $140! Good? Bad? What Guys?? With the money I saved from that if I buy it (instead of $350 for 3rd + $350 for differential) I will get those Timken!

Call Marty he did have third members for $100 shipped a while back, not sure if he still does or not.
PM Marty Powell (Drillbit) 270 576 7922

Last edited by Long Haul; 01-27-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Call Marty he did have third members for $100 shipped a while back, not sure if he still does or not.

"iamthedrillbit" on Ebay? Good guy. I have purchased a few items from him.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Long Haul
I'll give him a call today, I talked to Will and Paul already. Will wants $100 for the front diff but no quote on the 3rd member yet. And Paul wants $140 for both 3rd member and diff. Tell you how Marty goes later today.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have bought from Will Tillery a few times. He is a great resource as well.

I encourage you to get thoroughly familar with how your Disco is supposed to function (like the CDL). Often times those linkages bind up from corrosion/contamination if they are not moved around on a regular basis.

Take some time and see if it does indeed engage smoothly. It should shift with very little difficulty IF it is still working. It may not move at all (Side to Side) if it has not been engaged in a long time. If it is stiff, forcing it an damage it.

Take a look at the photo link in my signature. There are lots of detailed pics of when I had to completely disassemble mine. Console removal is required for complete access.

Also you will have to drill out the factory rivets securing the rubber gaiter around the shifter. Buy yourself a POP RIVET GUN to reinstall that rubber gaiter. Don't ruin it by cutting it like some people have done.

The linkages are not sealed from the bottom so they get nasty from road spray and especially if the vehicle is off-roaded in muddy or wet conditions. If you do have to take it apart, get a good heavy duty grease like Lucas Red heavy duty waterproof tractor grease and pack it good. Thats the red stuff you see in the pics of mine after the repair. I had to replace a lot of little clips and other pieces. If you lookk at the Rover's North Website, they have an excellent exploded parts breakdown that identifies all the parts involved in the linkages.

Good Luck man.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give him a call today, I talked to Will and Paul already. Will wants $100 for the front diff but no quote on the 3rd member yet. And Paul wants $140 for both 3rd member and diff. Tell you how Marty goes later today.
Well some people call it a diff some a 3rd member whatever you want to call it It would be the second pic that Anticrist has in his post. The easiest way is to replace as a whole unit like he has pictured. You can buy all the pieces seperatly but if you have never set up a ring an pinion its a PITA.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Pro Wrench

I thought the 3rd member was the housing that the diff went into. Guess not.

@AntiChrist
Just noticed the other pictures in your other post. Okay so I had thought that the 3rd member was the housing of the diff. So I had to get a 3rd member and a new diff to put in it. Since they are both the same, I know my diff/3rd member is bad (I will call it a diff from now on). So I need to get a diff, pinion bearings, and carrier bearings right? So my goal is to take out the old diff, install the new bearings in the new diff, and put everything back. Right?

Last edited by calebbo; 01-28-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Pro Wrench

Okay, here is everything so far
1. I can get a diff for $135 from Paul.

2. I need to get 2 Pinion and Carrier bearings right?

3. Are there seals I need to replace once I switch out the differentials?

4. When I change my Wheel Bearings do they need seals?

5. I need to change my Hub Seals after all of the above is said and done right?

Sorry for the VPN link on #5 it's the only way I can access some sites at school

Last edited by calebbo; 01-28-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Differential Housing Case