Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Differential Housing Case

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You don't need the circlips and shims (if they are the ones on the end of the axle)

I'd take the $20 for the drive member bolts and put it towards this kit:
http://tinyurl.com/4qe8sez
I always reuse such bolts, just cleaning them up (and the threaded holes in the hub) so the loctite sets properly.

Hub nut lock washers can usually be flattened out and reused a couple of times, but it's good to have them on hand in case you can't reuse yours.

Hub bearing lock nuts are very unlikely to need replacing. Even if someone has used a chisel on them, the burrs can be ground or filed down then they are fine to reuse.

You don't need to replace the hub bearing spacer washer. I've been working on land rovers for over 35 years and don't recall ever seeing one that needed replacing.

You'll also need loctite 270 (or some other high strength loctite if you can't find 270)

Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hub Assembly on Front Axle:
New Wheel Bearings (Timken and I need 4) $64
New Grease (Mobile 1 and I need 1 jar) $8
New Seals ( RTC3511 and I need 2) $20
Re-thread Tap Die Set $53
New Drive Member Joint Washer ( I need 2) $2
New Lock Washers (I need 2) $4
Hub Lock Nut Remover (I need 1) $20
Loctite 270 (I need 1) $14
RTV (I need 1) $7
Quart of 85W-140 Gear Oil (I need 2) $12
TOTAL: $197

Got everything now?

Old 01-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I may do overkill at times, but I have learned from my own experiences that I would rather replace as much as is reasonably priced with new or at least have them on hand than be stuck in a situation with something dissasembled and needing that one part that I overlooked then doing a mad dash to try and find something locally or end up paying a second shipping charge because I cheaped out initially to save a few bucks.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Pro Wrench

*wallet deflates..drastically*

How long can I drive it as is? I won't be able to cover all these costs for a good two and a half months. I owe my guardians $550 for new tires. And this is all coming to be about..$376 besides that.

Whopping $926

and I get paid $400 a month..

Last edited by calebbo; 01-29-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broken Vehicle + No Money = No Fun!!
Everyone has been there to some extent. You could probably save some money but it will increase your down time, inspect the diff and find out whats really gong on in there. If it's bad call around to junk yards and see if they have any rovers. Not a real fun way to spend a Saturday but can save $. I have a buddy here with a broken 96 to pull parts from but just the shipping would be absurd. You can probably borrow a tap and die from somebody, Buying/owning the tools is always better but when $ is short you gotta do what you gotta do. Is there something wrong with a kit like this one? I haven't read every page of this thread.... Good luck!!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Either way:
Wheel Bearing Job + Tie Rod Job
$200 for every part mentioned

Front Diff
$200 + pinion seal and nylock nut

So either way I spend about $400 and if I do both I can at least say I did things that needed to be done.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You could call some local driveline shops and ask how much they'd charge to replace the carrier bearings and pinion bearings in a Rover differential. It's not a big deal for someone familiar with the process, so the cost of the bearings and setup might be less than replacing your diff.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench

If it made a grinding noise when it went dry, then every time I hit 30MPH let off the pedal and coast it makes a sound (I don't know how to describe it. Rubbing & Roaring?), doesn't that mean that my diff is bad?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Either way:
Wheel Bearing Job + Tie Rod Job
$200 for every part mentioned

Front Diff
$200 + pinion seal and nylock nut

So either way I spend about $400 and if I do both I can at least say I did things that needed to be done.
Assuming someone else pays for your food, gas, insurance, registration ect. It is going to be extremely difficult to maintain this vehicle as a daily driver and still have money for anything else (on $400 a month). You are either gonna have to pay someone big $ to fix things that come up or expect to have some down time. Please open up your differential and fix that first! or pay someone to do it. Spike already gave you a rundown of possible outcomes of what can happen if you do have that front end lock up. Best case scenario a $100 tow truck worst case a starring role in a Stephen King movie (watch shawshank redemption great movie!). I obviously don't know your family situation or what the interest rate is on your "guardian visa" but I can tell you going into debt on an old truck at your age is a BAD idea. I wanna see your next thread as: Today I'm going inspect my differential and not: Parting out Claire ......Best of luck!!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench

No bad family situation but I'm trying to have some independence. My Rover, my worries, my problems, I'll fix it. That's what I tell them haha. Yeah I'm going to get it checked next week in Auto Shop. Nobody around here is capable of working on Claire because well they are all tire shops haha. Firestone said they would charge me $10 for an inspection of the problem, and I walked away with what I walked in with because he scratched his head and said "Only a Rover would have a ball instead of a king pinion.." Once I take it out what am I looking for? Chipped or damaged differential? What do I check for when I look at the pinion and carrier bearings? I don't want to take it off and not know what I am looking for.

Quick Reply: Differential Housing Case