Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 2 HVAC and Instruments in D1??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 HVAC and Instruments in D1??

Hey guys new to the forums and have a few questions in mind
I was wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge about installing the disco 2's HVAC system (climate control) into a disco 1. I do know its possible, but what parts do i need from the disco 2 and how much wire splicing will be involved?
If anyone know where i can find the wiring diagram online for the HVAC systems of the disco 1 and 2 that'd be a great help too!!
Secondly the instruments, the disco 2's instruments really appeal to me so im thinking of a retro fit. Anyone attempted this or know of anyone who has? If so i'd like to know how much work is involved and any problems faced during the fit?
I've already tried searching online but not much luck. Lets hope posting a thread helps!!

Thanks

Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. The shop manual set is called the RAVE. It has both vehicles, with circuit diagrams, connector layouts, etc.

2. Lots of things to change. Most guys will run out of interest or play money before it is done. Before starting a project llike this you would want to read over the manual on each, compare replacement parts to locate parts that swap directly, and wiring harnesses. A visit to a you-pull boneyard is also a good idea.

3. In particular the dash instruments are not so great. The heat gauge is run by the D2 ECU, and stays at 50%, even though heat is 130 - 240F. On a D1 it is an analog sensor, but also not very accurate. In both cases you might consider an Ultra Gauge. It reads a variety of things from the OBDII port. But oil pressure is not one of them.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

After a quickie check of rave, it looks like they share one connector. The other two connectors look different, but have the same amount of wires.

I dont think it will work though. If you check atlantic british, the D2 has temperature control parts that are not on the D1

Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the indicator lights on the D2 dash are run by a microcontroller that probably hooks to the OBD II lines, so that's a problem. The speedometer doen't work like the D1 either, so there's no output to the ECU for the VSS signal. I don't think it take the VSS input either, but I'm not sure. Tachometer comes from the ECU, not the alternator, so that won't work either.

I'm looking into this myself, but it looks like it will require some considerable interface circuitry.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

VSS in D2 is from average of SLABS ABS sensors.

Of course, I'm in the area where the AC only needs two speeds, off and full blast. IMHO this is the sort of project that can be done, with enough money and time. But you might find it less complex to just buy a D2.

Also may want to look at an Ultra Gauge for OBDII driven instruments, like coolant temp and voltage.

Attached Thumbnails Disco 2 HVAC and Instruments in D1??-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
1. The shop manual set is called the RAVE. It has both vehicles, with circuit diagrams, connector layouts, etc.

2. Lots of things to change. Most guys will run out of interest or play money before it is done. Before starting a project llike this you would want to read over the manual on each, compare replacement parts to locate parts that swap directly, and wiring harnesses. A visit to a you-pull boneyard is also a good idea.

3. In particular the dash instruments are not so great. The heat gauge is run by the D2 ECU, and stays at 50%, even though heat is 130 - 240F. On a D1 it is an analog sensor, but also not very accurate. In both cases you might consider an Ultra Gauge. It reads a variety of things from the OBDII port. But oil pressure is not one of them.
Hey and thanks for the reply, will check the manuals out for sure thanks for the links

Basically im only gonna attempt the swap if i can find a complete donor vehicle, plan to take the whole unit out including the wiring loom, heater core, etc.

So the only issue im gonna face is the temp gauge? btw i have a 300tdi with a bosch mechanical pump (no ecu), is there any way i can get a converter or something so the gauge will read off the analogue sensor? planned to use the instruments from a td5 disco. i herd that the rpm reading wont be accurate because the td5 uses a higher amp alternator, could this problem be solved by swapping in a td5 alternator onto my 300tdi?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
After a quickie check of rave, it looks like they share one connector. The other two connectors look different, but have the same amount of wires.

I dont think it will work though. If you check atlantic british, the D2 has temperature control parts that are not on the D1
Im not really worried about the wiring looms. have a professional electritication who works for us at our garage. plan to adapt the d1's wiring to use the d2 instruments plugs so that any d2 instruments will be plug and play.

hmmm this temp gauge is starting to seem like a road block. again as asked above, think there's any way around it?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by gprtech
Most of the indicator lights on the D2 dash are run by a microcontroller that probably hooks to the OBD II lines, so that's a problem. The speedometer doen't work like the D1 either, so there's no output to the ECU for the VSS signal. I don't think it take the VSS input either, but I'm not sure. Tachometer comes from the ECU, not the alternator, so that won't work either.

I'm looking into this myself, but it looks like it will require some considerable interface circuitry.
Doesn't the speedo use a direct signal from the transducer in the gear box? Im not exactly very familiar with the electronics of a d1/d2, could you please explain the OBD II lines and VSS signal and its purpose? not that it applies to my mechanical 300tdi, but for general knowledge's sake
really? i thought it comes from the alternator? i was told so by a mechanic who used to work for a local land rover dealership.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

The D2 uses the CKP sensor to produce tach signal. It uses an average of the ABS wheel sensors to make the VSS signals. The truck uses a network between tranny, ECU, and BCU. On a D1 the tach signal comes from the alternator.

I don't mean to be an obnoxious maximus, but if the D1/D2 electrical and circuits manaul are not familar to you, swapping out the entire HVAC system will be costly. You also have different controls for the compressor, cooling fan, etc. And a little fan in the dash to suck in ambient air required by the D2 for processing.

But at the end of the day, the sweat from playing in the mud will be cooled to the same point, cold air is cold air.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic74
Im not really worried about the wiring looms. have a professional electritication who works for us at our garage. plan to adapt the d1's wiring to use the d2 instruments plugs so that any d2 instruments will be plug and play.

hmmm this temp gauge is starting to seem like a road block. again as asked above, think there's any way around it?
The wiring wasnt the worry. It was incorporating or negating this stuff that might be a pain...

Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information

Quick Reply: Disco 2 HVAC and Instruments in D1??