Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 96 start problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010 | 03:39 PM
|
4wd Low
Default Disco 96 start problem

I started my LR Disco 96 today with no problem (except for the usual slow start, which isn't due to bad battery or spark plugs b/c they've been replaced). Later I started it again and had trouble (more than usual). I tried turning it on and off about 5 times and started every time. The last time, it would not turn over at all. It will not start now. The lights come on and alarm is working but will not start. I just had the steering column replaced because key broke off. Could this have anything to do with it? At wits end with this vehicle.... Any suggestions???

Old 07-09-2010 | 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

About 2 months ago I replaced my starter due to the exact same symptoms.. started slower and slower and them finally it just would not start. Thankfully this happened at the dealer I work at.

Old 07-09-2010 | 05:04 PM
Baja

Are you saying it won't start, or won't crank?
If you mean won't crank, which I think you mean, then make sure all your connections are clean and tight.
Battery to starter
Starter to chassis
Chassis to battery.

Of course, if you had a bad battery contributing to slow cranking then that will burn out your starter, so that may be bad now too.

Old 07-09-2010 | 05:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I actually checked all that on mine as well. Sometimes I omit the obvious as it is second nature to me.

Old 07-09-2010 | 05:53 PM
|
4wd Low
Default crank/start

When I turn the key it will not turn over. The power cuts on but nothing else will happen. There is no clicking or any other sounds beside the lights and power coming on.

Old 07-09-2010 | 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Bad battery cable/connection/ground.
This is assuming that your battery has a full charge and is good.

Old 07-09-2010 | 06:47 PM
|
4wd Low

checked battery and connections. All good. Do you think it is fuel related? (bad fuel pump or vacuum) or even key fob related?

Old 07-09-2010 | 07:55 PM

If you get nothing at all sometimes but it works other times (mine started doing that a while back) t is most likely corrosion at the ground terminals for the battery to frame and / or the strarter to frame. Redo both and you may save yourself a lot of aggravation and save money on replacinging parts.

Following are a couple of pics of my new starter ground. I abraded the frame to bare metal with a deburring bit, drilled a pilot hole, then mounted a new crimp on terminal with a self drilling panel bolt. My starter now is steady as a rock and the spare I bought is in my garage.

Attached Thumbnails Disco 96 start problem-disco-april-2-2010-038.jpg   Disco 96 start problem-disco-april-2-2010-039.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chirmoney
checked battery and connections. All good. Do you think it is fuel related? (bad fuel pump or vacuum) or even key fob related?
Absolutely not.
A engine not turning over is never fuel or key fob related unless the key is "coded", meaning it has a computer ship in it and unless the chip in the key matches the one in the ignition it wont start. (DI's do NOT have this)
But like every one has said that it not your problem.
Your problem is electrical, either a bad starter or bad battery cables or ground or bad battery.

Old 07-09-2010 | 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by chirmoney
How did you check the connections? Did you use an ohmmeter and read the resistance on the ground lead to the frame?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-10-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Disco 96 start problem