Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 96 start problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010 | 09:13 PM
|
4wd Low

My mechanic (close friend) is the one looking at the LR. He tested the connections and said they are fine. Not exactly sure how he did. I will find out. So, this may be a stupid question, what about the alternator???? I'm just trying to rule out all of the possibles.
Thanks for your input.

Old 07-09-2010 | 09:33 PM
Team Owner

All the alternator does is charge the battery, you could remove the alt and the truck would still run as long as it had a battery.
Check all of the connections on the back of the alt and make sure they are tight.

Old 07-09-2010 | 10:20 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by chirmoney
I just had the steering column replaced because key broke off. Could this have anything to do with it? At wits end with this vehicle.... Any suggestions???
I'd check/have checked to see if you get 12v to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to "crank"

I suspect the "new" electrical connections by your mech.

luck,greg

Old 07-09-2010 | 10:20 PM
Mudding

Check the fuses.

Old 07-09-2010 | 10:48 PM

Sounds like you have a high level of frustration with it. Did you break the key off by turning it harder trying to force the damn thing to start?

I suggest you download and study the RAVE and prepare to do as much of the work as possible on the Disco OR go ahead and admit defeat, sell it cheap to get rid of it.

Someone on here will probably be glad to take the problem child Discovery off your hands ad you can get you a "Normal" car that won't frustrate you so badly so often.

I had all the same symptoms you are having until I redid my ground connections. It was really simple and no more intermittent start problems.

Also check the recent replacement to verify connections are indeed good.

Or I'll give you $100 for it as is.

Old 07-09-2010 | 10:56 PM
|
4wd Low

Yes, we were trying to sell it today when the stupid thing wouldn't start. Needless to say, they are not interested anymore. It runs GREAT when it starts... Of course, it happens when we are showing it to someone. We will try to check the solenoid. Thanks for the input. We are admitting DEFEAT!!!

Old 07-09-2010 | 11:00 PM

So where do I send the Hundred Bucks to? and where do I pick it up at?

Old 07-09-2010 | 11:01 PM
|
4wd Low

Danny Lee- to answer your question. Another problem with the LR is that when you insert the key it sticks and doesn't want to turn. You have to wiggle it just right for it to turn for ignition of the engine. My mechanic broke it (he wasn't familiar with it and forced it). Oddly enough, we got a new steering column and it has the same problem. We can't seem to fully fix anything with this DISCO. Tried WD40 and grease and anything you can think of to loosen it up.

Old 07-10-2010 | 12:03 AM
Mudding

Check your fuses. And also make sure everything is hooked up under the column cover. The ignition module also plugs into the fuse box near the bottom. Check all these things and clean the grounds on the battery like suggested.

Old 07-10-2010 | 12:22 PM
|
4wd Low

UPDATE: The LR was started up today with no problem. So, my mechanic thinks the solenoid needs to be rebuilt. Agree or disagree?

Quick Reply: Disco 96 start problem