Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco I Ownership Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

OverRover for president!
Thanks

Old 01-12-2019, 03:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toran View Post
OverRover for president!
Thanks
Haha actually it just looks like there is a special cap, the thing behind the cap isn't connected to the tank and is for something else. This tank came from Rock Auto and doesn't have a level sensor, but I might look into that sensor now!

The following users liked this post:
Toran (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM

You got a sweet looking truck no doubt. I believe I had been eye balling this same truck as it was posted on craigslist in the Cincinnati area for awhile. I hope it brings years of joy to you.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Liking this thread. I should have posted something similar when i replaced my hoses and spark plugs. Next time.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Toran View Post
You got a sweet looking truck no doubt. I believe I had been eye balling this same truck as it was posted on craigslist in the Cincinnati area for awhile. I hope it brings years of joy to you.
Where are you located at? There were two almost identoiid postings on CL, this one which is missing the front bumper, and another one which was a 5SPD. This car is insanely rust free and runs extremely well but when I post the rear driveshaft DIY, youll see why the PO probably wanted to sell it.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 AM

Nice.
I was in Cincinnati, Ohio. Now I am in Toronto, Canada.
I'll start a new thread pertaining to the coolant cap as not hijack your thread.

Last edited by Toran; 01-14-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts

Here's a useful tip...

Pulling the bottom radiator hose can make an unholy and hazardous mess. Get 4 feet of 5/8" OD hose and siphon the coolant out of the top of the radiator. That will get you well below the thermostat. If you need to drain the entire system then pull the bottom rad hose.

I use a brass fill plug to avoid the situation you encountered with the plastic version. These trucks are all now officially 'old' and all rubber and plastic is brittle.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Walt

How much to siphon out of the rad? What is OD?

thanks

Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by WaltNYC View Post
Here's a useful tip...

Pulling the bottom radiator hose can make an unholy and hazardous mess. Get 4 feet of 5/8" OD hose and siphon the coolant out of the top of the radiator. That will get you well below the thermostat. If you need to drain the entire system then pull the bottom rad hose.

I use a brass fill plug to avoid the situation you encountered with the plastic version. These trucks are all now officially 'old' and all rubber and plastic is brittle.
That is a great piece of advice for future projects that do not require an entire drain. And yes, to anyone that is removing the original old plastic fill plug, but either a brand new plastic one (less than $5 from the dealership) or get the brass version. The old one is bound to cause a massive headache if you try and put it back on.

Originally Posted by stillruns View Post
Walt

How much to siphon out of the rad? What is OD?

thanks
Not sure the exact amount, but I would think 1 gallon would be plenty. OD=Outside Diameter.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts

If you are just doing a thermostat, removing one gallon would be plenty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disco I Ownership Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.