Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco I - Replacing Crank Position Sensor Hint

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Disco I - Replacing Crank Position Sensor Hint

Hey

Just did this job on my 1996. Here are all the little things I had trouble finding out to help someone else doing the job.

replacement sensor at autozone for $52.99, in stock!

Duralast/Crankshaft Position Sensor SU5136 at AutoZone.com

First; in the RAVE pdf the procedure is on page 233. For British reasons it is in section 19, Fuel System. The sensor itself is referred to as the "Engine Speed Sensor", knowing this opens lots of doors for searching on google. For other British reasons, the sensor shown in RAVE looks nothing like what is in my truck. Mine had a cover over it, with a connector at the sensor.

The sensor is located drivers side, directly above the drain bolt for the automatic transmission.

This (stolen, sorry) pic is taken from the perspective of - lying on back under truck, feet towards back, head towards front, drivers side just forward of door hinge:

The sensor is covered by a pot metal housing. there are two 7mm bolts holding the cover on, top and bottom. There is very little room in the direct vicinity to work. I found it best to work on my back, feet to the rear of the truck, left hand up next to the bell housing, right hand over top of the frame rail reaching in.

What saved the day was ~ 18" long extension on the 7mm socket. (Bolded for TLDR folks)

If you go in from IN FRONT of the exhaust you have a direct shot at the bolts and plenty of room to swing the ratchet.

I'll try to add a pic the next time I'm under there.

Once I figured this out it took fifteen minutes to finish. There are no spacers to worry about like on the DII, but my replacement sensor only had one ear and as the cover bolts also secure the sensor it the bell housing it is bit of a puzzle getting it all back in right, but not too bad.

Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any adjustment needed, or is it a plug and play? Mine is also asking for one already,

Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely a good find! Replaced mine with a generic British one ("AllMakes" I believe) for $100 and it works 90% of the time. I double checked to ensure it was properly seated, but it's still finicky.

Thank you for the link and new (to me) product part compatability!

Any issues since install or does it work flawlessly?

Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Resolved a no start condition. Touched the key after replacing it and it fired right up.

No adjustments, just swap it out. No issues to speak of.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, this is one of the spare parts I keep in the vehicle kit since it can completely disable the car.
Standard Motor Products PC714, $46 from Amazon.