Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery 1 turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Reset the inertia switch on the fire wall.
Little black button, passenger side, press it and hold for 5 seconds.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:30 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar Problem

Sorry to hijack the thread. My '96 Disco has a similar problem; it almost sounds like the intermittent starting problem outlined in the .pdf that jbriggs posted.

I left the truck sitting for a month or two, and in that time the battery drained. I charged it and it started up fine. The next day, nothing would happen when I turned the key, just a click from under the passenger side dash. Could not jump start it either. I put in the battery from my other car and it started, so I assumed it was fixed and took it for a drive. When I tried to start it in the parking lot, it would not crank at all, just the clicking noise; had to tow it home. Tried starting it various times throughout the next day and it did start once.

There are no fault codes or warning lights on the dash. It had a new fuel pump put in last year and is getting fuel AFAIK. I tested the starter by jumping it; it works. After reading online, it sounded like a problem with the Spider alarm. But after taking apart the dash, there is no spider unit nor a bypass installed.

The fuses look good as well. I noticed that when I remove the alarm fuses, the engine will crank, but not start. With the alarm fuses in, there's nothing but the starter clicking under the dash. Is this a symptom or just a coincidence?

Does it sound like a problem with the crank sensor? How would I go about resetting the immobiliser? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Sonic your sounds like a alarm issue.
Put the key in the drivers door and lock/unlock the truck three times and then try to start it.
If there is no change then I have no other idea's as this is out of my league.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 PM
4th Gear
Default Strange Electrical Tic/Alarm-related?

Originally Posted by Spike555
Sonic your sounds like a alarm issue.
Put the key in the drivers door and lock/unlock the truck three times and then try to start it.
If there is no change then I have no other idea's as this is out of my league.
Locking/unlocking did not work. I was messing about trying to start it today and found it will only start with the rear door open. Perhaps I should start a new thread since this seems unrelated to the OP's issue, but I will give a quick rundown anyhow.

I had a friend listen in the rear compartment to make sure the fuel pump was indeed coming on. The truck started reliably about three times. Then he shut the door; I tried starting again, nothing. So we tested a few more times and concluded that whenever the sensor button to the rear door is pushed in, the truck will not start. When it's left unpressed, the truck starts right up. I switched the button with one from another door and the same thing happens, so I assume it's not the button itself, but some of the wiring that hooks up to it.

I can bypass the switch and tape the wires/button inside the door so that it will start with the door shut. But this means the interior lights stay on. So I'd like to find a more permanent solution.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing the sensor is related to/communicates with the alarm, which is causing the non-start. Is this right? I can start a new thread if that's more appropriate. Thanks much for your input.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear

must be a disco thing... im having the same problem with my 93 disco 1. :S was lining up to do a climb when it just cut out. tried to get it started for about an hour with no luck. had plenty of petrol and LPG in both tanks, but no spark... im not sure whether mine has an inertia switch or not as it's stuck at a mates place 45 minutes away and havent had time to go and check it out as of yet. it was fun being stuck in the bush for a few hours and then having to be snatched out by a landcruiser!

will post if i have any results on getting mine going.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

Drewin-When you get yours running again PLEASE let us know.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:07 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
Drewin-When you get yours running again PLEASE let us know.
Someone has suggested the ignition amp may have blown, or the rotor button may have broken down and is leaking onto the shaft... will check this out on the weekend

Old 11-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sonic525
Locking/unlocking did not work. I was messing about trying to start it today and found it will only start with the rear door open. Perhaps I should start a new thread since this seems unrelated to the OP's issue, but I will give a quick rundown anyhow.

I had a friend listen in the rear compartment to make sure the fuel pump was indeed coming on. The truck started reliably about three times. Then he shut the door; I tried starting again, nothing. So we tested a few more times and concluded that whenever the sensor button to the rear door is pushed in, the truck will not start. When it's left unpressed, the truck starts right up. I switched the button with one from another door and the same thing happens, so I assume it's not the button itself, but some of the wiring that hooks up to it.

I can bypass the switch and tape the wires/button inside the door so that it will start with the door shut. But this means the interior lights stay on. So I'd like to find a more permanent solution.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing the sensor is related to/communicates with the alarm, which is causing the non-start. Is this right? I can start a new thread if that's more appropriate. Thanks much for your input.
Read this. I had a similar problem.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F-out Discovery.pdf (104.1 KB, 973 views)