Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery 95! Some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 95! Some questions..

Hi guys i write from Venezuela... I have a Land Rover discovery 1 1995, and i wanted to ask some questions about this truck.. Firth, if someone know how i can disconnect the abs system, it doesnt work and here in my country the sensors are very expensive... Second, i Walted to know if i can scann the truck with a scanner ? I know it has a on board display but i have the check engine light and on board display its off or doesnt work ... Anyway, can i access to the ecu with a scanner ? If so where is the connector ?

The reason i come to you guys is that in USA there are more discos with abs and on board display.... Here are many obd2 but obd 94 95 no..

Thanks guys and sorry for my bad english...

Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Not with a scanner that is home shop priced, dealer may have something. If it has an OBDII plug on a D1 that is under the dash below steering wheel, on my left hand drive it is between the wheel and the center console.

Pull fuse link MF6 in underhood box. That kills power to the pump.

The RAVE shop manual is a free download below. It is available in other languages as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

95 has no ODBII. 95 has only ODBI which is an LED read out box located under the passenger seat. When you turn Engine off wait for a minute and you will hear a click tuning the display off. The box is about 3.5 in x 3.5 in. turn key on to same position you would hear fuel pump relay click on and look under passenger seet and you will see a red glow. The red glow is coming from the on board display and it will have a number code. PM me for more help if you want.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On ABS issue, sensors are located on upper part of hub assemble. make sure sensors are seated all the way and wire harness is NOT routed through and under bottom of your front shock where the bushings are or aren't. If bushings are bad the shock stud has probably smashed one of the sensor wires. Sensors are not difficult to remove for inspection. use small needle nose vice grip pliers, clip on and twist as you pull up and the sensor should come out. Be careful not to smash the sensor. White coating is a dielectric lube and not to worry. clean off and replace. If your ABS issue is not resolved, it may be the ABS ring or sleeve (located in hub) that the sensor is trying to read.

If shock absorber bushes are bad on bottom, you may have smashed a sensor wire causing random and intermittent engagement of ABS causing vibration in the break pedal

Why do you want to disable your ABS any way? What is your issue

Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raeuspius
On ABS issue, sensors are located on upper part of hub assemble. make sure sensors are seated all the way and wire harness is NOT routed through and under bottom of your front shock where the bushings are or aren't. If bushings are bad the shock stud has probably smashed one of the sensor wires. Sensors are not difficult to remove for inspection. use small needle nose vice grip pliers, clip on and twist as you pull up and the sensor should come out. Be careful not to smash the sensor. White coating is a dielectric lube and not to worry. clean off and replace. If your ABS issue is not resolved, it may be the ABS ring or sleeve (located in hub) that the sensor is trying to read.

If shock absorber bushes are bad on bottom, you may have smashed a sensor wire causing random and intermittent engagement of ABS causing vibration in the break pedal

Rover ABS is pure junk. Disabling it was the best thing I ever did.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by raeuspius

The ABS on a DI is more of a danger than a safety thing.
I removed my ABS pump fuse 5yrs? ago and wont go back.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
The ABS on a DI is more of a danger than a safety thing.
I removed my ABS pump fuse 5yrs? ago and wont go back.
Really? Seriously, I want to know. What's the issue with the ABS? Is it *that* bad? I'm toting my family around in this thing so safety is #1.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
5th Gear

ok.. im sure its a obd1 and yes it has a on board fisplay under passnger seat.. 2 years ago it gave me one code refer to O2 sensor and i replace the sensor and reset the obd1 and clear code.. all was well until a few days that the check engine light came to my dash.. in view of this i check the on board display and it doesnt work or not show any codes.. That its the reason for i wanted to know if can i access to obd1 with a external scanner maybe some launch or autosnap...

The problem with my abs is the modulator or so said the previous owner.. he told me that he disconnect the modulator and i want to know if is this sufficient ? i read that the abs system has 3 fuse and also had to be removed.. this is true?

thanks again guys

Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aefc46
ok.. im sure its a obd1 and yes it has a on board fisplay under passnger seat.. 2 years ago it gave me one code refer to O2 sensor and i replace the sensor and reset the obd1 and clear code.. all was well until a few days that the check engine light came to my dash.. in view of this i check the on board display and it doesnt work or not show any codes.. That its the reason for i wanted to know if can i access to obd1 with a external scanner maybe some launch or autosnap...

The problem with my abs is the modulator or so said the previous owner.. he told me that he disconnect the modulator and i want to know if is this sufficient ? i read that the abs system has 3 fuse and also had to be removed.. this is true?

thanks again guys
No you cannot connect a scanner to read the codes on a OBDI car.
You must use the factory supplied unit.

Yes unplugging the ABS modulator is sufficient.
It is equivalent to unplugging a lamp from the wall plug.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by keoni004
Really? Seriously, I want to know. What's the issue with the ABS? Is it *that* bad? I'm toting my family around in this thing so safety is #1.
Yes it is that bad, it will activate for no reason making the brake pedal hard as a rock and impossible to stop.
Many have run red lights and stop signs as this happens on plain old dry roads.
My wife almost rear ended a school bus one day, I pulled the ABS PUMP fuse that day after work.
It had done it to me once before, to her many times, the school bus incident was the final straw.

Quick Reply: Discovery 95! Some questions..