Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery capabilities/tire/lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you must use premium, if you dont you will loose mpg and you run the risk of carboning up the exhaust valves.
Regular gas burns hotter than premium and with no EGR the heads will runs hotter than they should and you will bake the oil inside the engine and sludge it up.
These engines have a big sludge problem if premium fuel is not used.
The oil return passages become clogged with sludge and then you starve the engine of oil because it cant return to the oil pan fast enough, the first sign of trouble is the oil light coming on while cruising at highway speeds and then shutting back off after you let it return to idle.
But if you want to destroy that 40k engine thats fine, its your money.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well rubicon isnt stock. But if you must. There is not comparison, a rubicon has locking differentials, lift, shorter wheelbase and tires from the store.

Run premium just because, there are too many opinions and not enough facts. It being a cleaner gas has nothing to do with it. There is nothing special about the engine requiring more detergents, octane rating? Well it's not a high compression engine so that's not the reason. It's because it doesn't have an egr valve so premium is supposed to help it run cooler and not predetonate. You won't notice a difference the vehicle has knock sensors.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Not going against spike,I posted at the same time, just theres not enough facts

Sure rover suggests premium that's about all the fact.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Team Owner

Not enough facts?
Its right in the owners manual, fuel with a octane rating of 91 or nigher is required.
The people who designed, built and tested this engine know what kind of fuel it needs to get the most out of it.

But they also say to change the oil once a year or every 7500 miles and to have you dealer work on it.
So you guys can do whatever you want but my 200k+ engine has always and will always be ran on premium.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Not going against spike,I posted at the same time, just theres not enough facts
No worries, its all good.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

owners manual says 90 or 92 octane.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE MY ROVER....it hangs with my buddies jeep fairly well thats all purpose built..i run 89 octane in mine..gets the same mpg as 91

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Well rubicon isnt stock. But if you must. There is not comparison, a rubicon has locking differentials, lift, shorter wheelbase and tires from the store.

Run premium just because, there are too many opinions and not enough facts. It being a cleaner gas has nothing to do with it. There is nothing special about the engine requiring more detergents, octane rating? Well it's not a high compression engine so that's not the reason. It's because it doesn't have an egr valve so premium is supposed to help it run cooler and not predetonate. You won't notice a difference the vehicle has knock sensors.
I'm not saying jeeps are better. A rubicon is a stock model of a jeep. Doesn't the Discovery come with locking differentials? Or does that lock the transfer case?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is better, a Discovery or a Range Rover?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Pro Wrench

well rubicon is not stock parts.

a range rover has more unessisary computers that F up. neither is better, discovery is just simple.. and different design.

Quick Reply: Discovery capabilities/tire/lift