Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Nah, just leave it. I thought you where posting a response to mr4x4's pressure sensor issue so I owe you an apology. I can tell you from experience there's no difference between the non AEL and AEL pump motor wise and you confirmed it right, so let the post stand for those who don't know.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Yeah I researched it for a good while and I never found the answer. I bit the bullet today and tore into my fuel pump and yeah it was a direct replacement minus the fuel hose. I was truly amazed to find my OEM strainer looking like swiss cheese!

I just wanted to replace it since I just bought my D1 a month ago with 120K on it I didn't want to take it out with the family and get stuck on the side of the road. No need to apologize no harm no foul

Rover on!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Camel Trophy

At 120k you should also replace the expansion tank if original, viscous coupling/water pump (pull up on water pump to check, if it moves replace), and have a spare starter at the ready. Starter off a DII is exact same.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Yeah I've gone over it pretty good. Expansion tank is the newer style, alternator, waterpump was replaced just before I bought it. Guy only took it to the local LR dealership so it was well taken care of. I just had the typical 17 year old Rover stuff to tweak. I am going to order new oil cooler lines as one is seeping and I do not want it all to go up in flames. I put a 2inch TF lift on it and the OEM springs/shocks were so badly worn it actually raised it 4inches from when I bought it.

Transfercase fluid was spotless as was the rear diff fluid so it was changed recently as well. Only big oil leak was from a seeping oil pressure switch. After that no serious leaks to report. Runs and drives well for 17 years old. I will need a new driver side cat (rattles), but thats about it.

Thanks for the tips, and I'm happy to have another LR in my garage! I love D2 door seals vs D1/RRC door seals! Hardly any wind noise now. D2 Starter is on my list of spare parts.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-11-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Pictures no longer show up, is there a way to get them back on this thread?

Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by archaeology_student
Pictures no longer show up, is there a way to get them back on this thread?
Probably not. They were most likely hosted on Photobucket or similar and have since been deleted. I think LRF tried to "backup" all the remotely hosted pics and put them on their server at one point but people went apesh*t and it never happened.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Probably not. They were most likely hosted on Photobucket or similar and have since been deleted. I think LRF tried to "backup" all the remotely hosted pics and put them on their server at one point but people went apesh*t and it never happened.
Cool, and thank you for the reply!

Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir, do you still have the pictures from this repair job? I am about to do the same thing on my 98 disco, and seeing how you did it would be extremely helpful.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tkomm
Sir, do you still have the pictures from this repair job? I am about to do the same thing on my 98 disco, and seeing how you did it would be extremely helpful.
The job is pretty self explanatory. The only hard part is getting to it under the rear carpet. I ended up making a hole in the carpet so I could get to it in the future without removing all the rear interior.

My only advice would be to make sure that large o-ring is in place first before fully dropping down the fuel pump. That sealing ring wont seal unless the o-ring is put in correctly.

The following users liked this post:
tkomm (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Sheesh, I never went to that extent to lift the cargo carpet and pad....... it was much easier than that! Is that a burrito? I'm hungry.

Quick Reply: Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix