Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery upgrade to Defender 90 (D90) brakes - caliper and rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R

I had heard the d1 fronts can move to back, I still have mine just no time to look into it yet

Checked redwinch site lucky is a distributor
I emailed redwinch directly and they will ship to US. Came out to about $100 for product and shipping. The thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger is that I wasn't sure if the front calipers would work with the rear rotors. From mock install, they won't (rubbing issue). And using front rotors on the rear would require special additional drilling for the ABS plate and drilling or cutting out a hole on the new adapter for the ABS sensor... So for now I just bought upgraded rotors and new pads for the time being.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I don't think RedWinch had ABS in mind when developing the adapters. Did you ask RedWinch what rotors to use with their adapters?

Originally Posted by RedRovin'
I emailed redwinch directly and they will ship to US. Came out to about $100 for product and shipping. The thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger is that I wasn't sure if the front calipers would work with the rear rotors. From mock install, they won't (rubbing issue). And using front rotors on the rear would require special additional drilling for the ABS plate and drilling or cutting out a hole on the new adapter for the ABS sensor... So for now I just bought upgraded rotors and new pads for the time being.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

No I did not. After reading the instructions again, it looks like the customer would use original rear rotors. But the requirement to drill out an area for the ABS sensor is still required. And I already asked, no, they won't do it for us...

Old 10-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I removed my abs

Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Its not the vented rotors, its the larger caliper pistons and pads.

vented rotors DO make a difference, not in stopping power or speed, but with heat displacement. towing a trailer, yea, you will notice a difference with vented over solid.

and you are the only person in the history of the internet to ever get mud stuck in his brake rotors. every other vehicle on the planet has vented rotors and i've never heard of this issue anywhere except when this upgrade comes up.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by MM3846

vented rotors DO make a difference, not in stopping power or speed, but with heat displacement. towing a trailer, yea, you will notice a difference with vented over solid.

and you are the only person in the history of the internet to ever get mud stuck in his brake rotors. every other vehicle on the planet has vented rotors and i've never heard of this issue anywhere except when this upgrade comes up.
I'm aware that vented rotors have their place and what they do.

IDK, the internets is a BIG place. All I can tell you is what actually happened. I went up to the UP(Michigan) for a couple days. Conditions were wet, snowy, muddy. Ran through a pretty deep creek. Sand and gravel and grit ate my rear brake pads down to the backing plate. Came home, pulled the tires off, and the front vented rotors were packed with hardened mud/sand/grit. I don't really give a crap if you believe me or not but I won't lie and say it didn't happen. I'm pretty sure someone else had a similar experience but I don't really care enough to search down the post.
I've also had snow and ice stuck inside my wheels that caused bad vibrations on the highway, so IDK why its hard to believe mud could get stuck in vented rotors.

I stand by my comment that the biggest gain is by upgrading the calipers to those having bigger pots and bigger pads. Vented rotors may make a difference in certain situations and moving front calipers to the rear may help stopping power, too. However for both of those there are tradeoffs that don't make it worth the effort IMO.

Last edited by fishEH; 10-26-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

I will say clay mud gets in laces and don't come out so....

Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 AM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

Thank you for the information people

Vented... non-vented... it's all good. I prefer the cross-drilled and slotted vented rotors that come in 24k gold and have a jewel in every other hole

Let's all just agree to disagree

I appreciate everyone's time, input and help.

I'm leaning towards the D110 calipers from RovahFarm ((example #2 in my query posting, as they seem to be $100 less than the RoversNorth ones (mind you, those were meant for reference from fishEH)).

One last question... how would I look those pads up then? On CarID they do not appear to have a 1993 110 in their database. Would I have to start going to the manufacturers to see if they make that part? Which brake pad manufacturer(s) would you recommend for the 110 calipers?

“One love, one heart, one life and 4x4 . . .
Let’s get together and feel all right”

Last edited by archaeology_student; 10-27-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Iirc my d90 front pads are same as d1 it is basicly just a wider caliper for the vented rotor

Old 10-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by archaeology_student
Thank you for the information people

Vented... non-vented... it's all good. I prefer the cross-drilled and slotted vented rotors that come in 24k gold and have a jewel in every other hole

Let's all just agree to disagree

I appreciate everyone's time, input and help.

I'm leaning towards the D110 calipers from RovahFarm ((example #2 in my query posting, as they seem to be $100 less than the RoversNorth ones (mind you, those were meant for reference from fishEH)).

One last question... how would I look those pads up then? On CarID they do not appear to have a 1993 110 in their database. Would I have to start going to the manufacturers to see if they make that part? Which brake pad manufacturer(s) would you recommend for the 110 calipers?

“One love, one heart, one life and 4x4 . . .
Let’s get together and feel all right”
'93 110 Pads are the same as NAS 90 pads. See my link below. So when you search, just search for a '95 D90.

Originally Posted by TOM R
Iirc my d90 front pads are same as d1 it is basicly just a wider caliper for the vented rotor
D90/D110 pads are the same part number and are both bigger than D1 front pads. See links below. You can see the size difference and AB is nice because they list what vehicles are compatible with each part.
D1 pads: Brake Pads - Front - EBC Performance (STC9191EBCX Same Fit As Part # DP6814 ) - Land Rover linings & pads from Atlantic British
D90/110 pads: Brake Pads - Front - EBC Performance (STC2952EBC Same Fit As Part # DP6708 ) - Land Rover linings & pads from Atlantic British

Quick Reply: Discovery upgrade to Defender 90 (D90) brakes - caliper and rotors?