Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery upgrade to Defender 90 (D90) brakes - caliper and rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I thought that red nut was for standard. 😉

Originally Posted by archaeology_student
Lesson learned... The parts people at Lordco were selling me bubble lines with US threaded line nuts, not metric! I asked them on my three trips in, and finally realized that they sold me the wrong lines which had the incorrect nuts on them.

Lesson learned, double and triple check everything at parts stores!

The following users liked this post:
archaeology_student (07-22-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Lesson learned... The parts people at Lordco were selling me bubble lines with US threaded line nuts, not metric! I asked them on my three trips in, and finally realized that they sold me the wrong lines which had the incorrect nuts on them.

So that was the distant scream I heard the other day....

archaeology_student (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 03:24 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

SUX because the M10 X 1.0 threads in the new SS Hoses are toast.
The odds of getting proper thread engagement with the brake line nut is now zero.

The Parts Store Dip$hits owe you some new hoses!

Old 07-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
SUX because the M10 X 1.0 threads in the new SS Hoses are toast.
The odds of getting proper thread engagement with the brake line nut is now zero.

The Parts Store Dip$hits owe you some new hoses!
Replaced one hard line, and the union with the SS britpart line is not leaking! I may have dodged a bullet!

Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well does it work?

RedRovin';539727]Just did this on my D1, all from rovahfarm.
D90 calipers, pads, and vented rotors plus extended SS brake lines.
Eventually I'll buy the adaptor for the rears
I really appreciate excellent stopping power! We just started our 1st Discovery project and I feel the braking could use some improvement.

Did you see a positive difference after fitting the D90 brakes up front.

In your post you mentioned a needing and adapter for the rear. Having no knowledge on this project, what would you be adapting?

Old 09-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, on the passenger front I am now on my third hard brake line (I gave up and purchased bubble flared lines for the rover) and the thing keeps leaking at the line but union with the Britpart stainless steel line.

Did I miss something or could someone give me some advice on how to fix this pita.

With the first one, I was cautious not to over tighten, and then I seemed to tighten it to a point where it went loose and wasn't even threaded at all.

With the second I made sure to get the angle right, threaded gently by hand until tight, then with the line wrench until snug. Again it started leaking... I then tried to snug it up, and the same thing happened. The line but became loose and wasn't threaded...

Tried again for a third time, and the same results. I am so close and yet so frustrated... I thank everyone for their time and help... I am almost there... driver side I got on the first attempt... *squints and shakes fist at land rover*

sc
WOW, hoped to shout that's one ugly cross threading going on there unless the flare nut has been backed out completely in this above photo? I that case the tubing needs to be bent allowing aligning to the caliper as well allowing finger tightening only of the flare nut only requiring a wrench seating the flare plus torquing down the flare nut.. I would first check the inside of the tubing's flare plus the flare cone surface inside the caliper for a smooth scratch free contact surface area. New parts can be jacked up also due to production profits and battles, thinking made in China ring a bell? .....~~=o&o>......

Old 09-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Mudding

With this D1 brake caliper swap to D90/110 calipers, like the idea but keeping with solid discs your going from 2.046 sq/in piston area (D1) to 2,575 sq/in piston area (D90/110) a 25.87% increase. Is there a difference in master cylinder piston bore to compensate this added fluid displaced by the larger 90/110 caliper pistons preventing lower brake pedal position before the brakes begin to be applied? Thinking larger booster diameter on a 90/110 vs a D1 to compensate for the larger pistons of D90/110 calipers? What is different allowing the same applied brake pedal pressure to stop if any?
The 95 D1 already requires a lot of petal pressure with normal braking, forget any panic stop, can't even lock up the front brakes. ABS fuse removed a safety issue I need to stop vs pulsing ABS with pedal sinking to the floor. That ABS activation issue was why the wifey never drove the D1 again back in 2010 after running up a driveway, across a yard and into bushes vs running over 8 year old kids after a school pick up years ago. Hence it's my personal toy vehicle. Wifey refuses to ever sit in it again, 10 years and counting. The 5 spd w/4.6 w/chip plus other added tricks keep the LR interests alive,.....~~=o&o>......

Old 10-28-2019, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Did you get it sort it out and what was the end result for the upgrade? I am thinking of going this route as I need to do rotors now.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Icannap1
Did you get it sort it out and what was the end result for the upgrade? I am thinking of going this route as I need to do rotors now.
How many miles do you get out of a set of brake pads and rotors when replacements are required as well the percentage combination between street and off road use? Just curious had to ask?.......~~=o&o>........

Old 11-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Icannap1
All done and simply an amazing upgrade!

Thank you to everyone for all the help and time!

LeakyDisco (11-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Discovery upgrade to Defender 90 (D90) brakes - caliper and rotors?