Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Do you have Sunroof questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do you have Sunroof questions?

I have mastered the mechanics of how the sunroof works. Also have my molds ready to produce new parts if anyone needs them. Do not have the springs. You can find the springs at AB for $13. Or I can re-cast the broken pieces back on the spring for $5. If you need to know anything about your sunroof, PM me.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do!!!.... (raising hand)..

The rear sunroof, I can hear the motor trying to pull the glass back. But, it is stuck. I am afraid to trying to pull it back in fear of it not closing. What should I try doing first?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do too! The ones in my 95 worked but that truck just rolled down a hill and ate a oak tree. Wouldn't you know the front one in the 96 won't open. I did notice that I can push on it from inside and it flops up...

Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Winching

If the sunroof is loose or you can push on it. The main block is damaged. The block connects all components. Here is the removal and inspection process:

You will need to remove the headliner. If it is the rear sunroof you only need to drop the rear portion of the headline to remove 3 #20 torque screws from the motor. remove motor. Remove 14 #20 torque screws from the lower cover panel. Remove 4 #20 torque screws from the glass and mounting brackets. Then remove 4 phillips head screws from each rail. Gently pull the rails down towards the rear of the vehicle and then out. You will see a spring attached. Gently pull the spring out of the tubes leading towards the motor area. You can see the damage from the top of the rails. I can rebuild them or send you new parts. Installation is reverse.

To disasseble the rails: 1. Disconnect the glass mounting bracket. You will see it is attached by a small square roller that easily comes out. Disconnect the glass mounting bracket from the block. The block sits in the center of the rail. The bracket is attached by a roller. 2. On the long side of the rail is a connection guide. Looking at the rail from underneath you will see a slot where a plastic piece is sticking out of. Push this plastic piece ( connection guide) up into the rail and at the same time pull the main block (center) out towards the end. Unscrew the stopper located at the center and back part of the rail. Pull the block assembly out and detach the spring gear and connection guide. Inspect all components for damage.

Installation is reverse.

The following users liked this post:
mgtd2000 (09-27-2018)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Three Wheeling

My rear sunroof goes back and forth fine and opens fine but when I go to close it, it sometimes gets stuck open. Why's that?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front one is jammed. If I press the button, it slides back about an inch. Then just stops. It's like its hitting something. It never props the back up either...
Thanks

Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Winching

Kink Kong. Sounds like the block is not moveing the glass mount in full close motion. This could be caused by the strange design. The connection between the block and glass mount is an oval shaped roller. This roller can get wedged easily or stuck if debris is in the way. You can just remove the glass and look down from the roof side to view the glass bracket connection. The bracket is metal and black. It has one small square roller on the front end and near the center of the bracket is the oval roller connection.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Winching

Atancreti: You have a bent block. This is the main component that allows movement. Could be on one side, but most likely both roadside and curbside blocks are damaged.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks LRD2&ME! I'm gonna start pulling the liner tonight!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed my headliner completely and decide to just leave it out totally. I like it much better that way anyway.

Quick Reply: Do you have Sunroof questions?