Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Do you remember the magic when you first saw a land rover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always saw the little rovers on Wild Kingdom myself and it was so cool to see them bopping along the plains. I really was wowed when I saw my first Camel Trophy clip and I was like "there not even lifted or have huge tires, but look at them go!". I've since owned about every kind of off-road vehicle out there from my Full size 1 ton GM's on 42-44" tires to my little Samurai, CJ's, ZJ's, Cherokees, pick ups, FJ40(still miss that one), mini trucks, you name it. I would say that STOCK for STOCK the D1 is the best Off-road, but since I have owned and driven so many really built trucks I would have to say the Rover is limited compared to my other rigs, you cant really go over 33-35" tire without MAJOR axle upgrades, suspension up grades, gearing, etc etc. BUT for a mild weekend warrior level 5 trail the Disco is awesome and comfy as heck, beats the leaf spring set up all day!. I'm saying that in stock form the rovers are pretty awesome, but wheeling up here in Alaska anything on 35's or less will just get swallowed whole no matter how well it flexes. Not to say there arnt mild trails to run but they are boring. The key up here is to build a rig that can do it all from small trails to wide open deep goop. Thats how it is, one mile is tight and windy and rocky, the next mile could be wide open mud that needs some 38" tire or better, its just real un predictable, the trails change every year.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AKdisco
I always saw the little rovers on Wild Kingdom myself and it was so cool to see them bopping along the plains. I really was wowed when I saw my first Camel Trophy clip and I was like "there not even lifted or have huge tires, but look at them go!". I've since owned about every kind of off-road vehicle out there from my Full size 1 ton GM's on 42-44" tires to my little Samurai, CJ's, ZJ's, Cherokees, pick ups, FJ40(still miss that one), mini trucks, you name it. I would say that STOCK for STOCK the D1 is the best Off-road, but since I have owned and driven so many really built trucks I would have to say the Rover is limited compared to my other rigs, you cant really go over 33-35" tire without MAJOR axle upgrades, suspension up grades, gearing, etc etc. BUT for a mild weekend warrior level 5 trail the Disco is awesome and comfy as heck, beats the leaf spring set up all day!. I'm saying that in stock form the rovers are pretty awesome, but wheeling up here in Alaska anything on 35's or less will just get swallowed whole no matter how well it flexes. Not to say there arnt mild trails to run but they are boring. The key up here is to build a rig that can do it all from small trails to wide open deep goop. Thats how it is, one mile is tight and windy and rocky, the next mile could be wide open mud that needs some 38" tire or better, its just real un predictable, the trails change every year.
I'd love to drive some of those trails. We got crap down here in KTN.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I'd love to drive some of those trails. We got crap down here in KTN.

Hel*, I'm tired of Alaska myself. I watch the videos of guys wheeling in the desert, in the rocks of Moab, in the old mining trails, in the forested trails like the rubicon etc etc. Muds cool and all but I want to wheel a long rocky wooded trail that leads to an old mining town somewhere in the mountains. There just seem like so many trails in the lower 48 that you can rock 33"-35" tires and have a great time. Up here it seems like you need a hardcore huge tired rig to hang with everyone or truly get to where you need to go. Thats great for the guys running 46-54" AG tires or TTC Claws on trailered rigs, but it does get old. I'm just so sick of winter right now that I'm just bitchin, I have serious cabin fever. OH nOT to mention that you cant even really wheel till like may time frame because the ground is so soft that you will sink right away or tear up the trails so bad they are un-passable in the summer.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Wild Kingdom as a kid on our 19" Zenith color tv with aluminum foil on the rabbit ears, every Sun we watched that show. (you kids have no idea what those things are)
I loved watching those square trucks with the spare tire on the hood chasing lions and elephants and driving across rivers and making their own trails.
In '95 I almost bought a brand new 5-speed DI, then again in '98 I almost bought a demo DI.
Then in '03 I was going to trade my Infiniti for a DII even up.
In '04 came close to buying a Freelander.
Then in '06 I almost bought a '03 DII.
Test drove a dozen or so Range Rovers and Discoveries and a couple of LR3's.
Then in '07 I found my perfect match, a one owner dealer maintained '97 Discovery and it has been bliss ever since.
I love my truck today as much as the day I bought it.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

this is the wildkingdom you speed of?

YouTube - Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom

Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats it! Old and feeble Marlin Perkins narrateing while young and virile Jim Fowler wrestles the lion. Often filmed in exotic locals like east africa when it was still open and wild. And of course thay traveled there in Land Rovers.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

I can still here the life insurance sales pitch from every commercial break.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Mudding

The old Rovers were cool but there was no magic when I got my Disco. And it’s only gotten worse. I have come to hate it. I was into it for a valley pan gasket, water pump, battery, radiator and starter in less than a month after I got it. So I was pissed from the get go. The reason I'm bitter is the deal was done on this vehicle to help out my starving musician brother-in-law. I traded a Subaru Legacy plus $2000 back in 2005 for it so he could have a vehicle that was inexpensive and easy to work on because of his money situation. So I took one for the team so to speak. However that being said it has been a dependable vehicle and is very sure footed in the snow and mud. Living in Alaska takes its toll on vehicles and it has held up pretty well. Without this forum I never would be able to keep up with it and would have pushed it off a cliff years ago. Thanks guys for the help.

P.S. That Jim Fowler was the toughest son of a b**** in the world. Wrestling snakes and lions while Marlin talked about it. "Let's watch Jim corner the alligator while we drink some bourbon!!!!" Funny s***!

Last edited by jbriggs; 03-23-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Drifting
Default Magical?

If an armoured Rover full of squaddies is what you saw as your first glimpse at a Rover, it was far from magical, but as I love my 97 Disco I can learn to forget the past.
Slan go foill,
Eoghan

Last edited by Fox Welding; 03-23-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jbriggs
The old Rovers were cool but there was no magic when I got my Disco. And it’s only gotten worse. I have come to hate it. I was into it for a valley pan gasket, water pump, battery, radiator and starter in less than a month after I got it. So I was pissed from the get go. The reason I'm bitter is the deal was done on this vehicle to help out my starving musician brother-in-law. I traded a Subaru Legacy plus $2000 back in 2005 for it so he could have a vehicle that was inexpensive and easy to work on because of his money situation. So I took one for the team so to speak. However that being said it has been a dependable vehicle and is very sure footed in the snow and mud. Living in Alaska takes its toll on vehicles and it has held up pretty well. Without this forum I never would be able to keep up with it and would have pushed it off a cliff years ago. Thanks guys for the help.

P.S. That Jim Fowler was the toughest son of a b**** in the world. Wrestling snakes and lions while Marlin talked about it. "Let's watch Jim corner the alligator while we drink some bourbon!!!!" Funny s***!

And thats your problem, you didnt want it to begin with.
Rovers are like women, they are fickle creatures that need to be wanted and want to be needed.

If you laugh at my next statement you are a Rover owner not a Rover enthusiast.

This is a true statement...

At least once a week I pat my truck on the hood and tell her that I love her and she is a wonderful truck and that we are in this together.

Quick Reply: Do you remember the magic when you first saw a land rover?