Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

doing the viscuous fan conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doing the viscuous fan conversion

Three quick raps with a three pound sledge really? I got a good start today and thought I would have this sucker on in an hour or so......hahahaha they are one with each other I could not get that nut to come loose to save my soul. Just to save a little face I will not tell you how long I spent in there way too long. I drank two ice cold mugs of beer to help me stay calm

Tomorrow I am going to go tool shopping.

the joker at the auto parts store told me they had the tools and they would rent them to me for fifty bucks. I don't think so. I would rather go spend five times that and have the tools for the other things I need to get done. Hell the fan only cost me 51.

I am finally going to get some real tools. and I mean air tools. oh yeah and a cheater bar. I have been crawling on the ground with a ratchet for too many years cussing and cutting my hands. Right now I can afford it.

Don't get me wrong I am not made of money and the fact that I am going to go spend a good chunck tomorrow does pain me...however in the long run I do believe it is worth it. say what you want.

side note....my rover was fine at highway speeds but at an idle she was getting hot . Turn her off a few minutes and she was back to the middle.

I bought a new lower hose because it was spongy and the visc fan, and I plan on flushing her out...putting the fan on and changing the lower hose....and replacing her fluids. Sticker on the bottle shows the po changed the fluid in 06. I believe this to be the case. even though I know he did not put a lot of miles on it in that time.

hopefully all goes as planned tomorrow. I can take her to get the echeck so I can get tags.

cross you fingers

Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Tools are an investment not an expenditure. Im lucky that between my dads tools and the tools he got from his father we have thousands of dollars worth of stuff for every imaginable occasion. One day my son will have more crap, and need a bigger garage.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You may have to have someone push down on the fan belt at the same time you give it a whack. But it really does come off easily, and you are trying to turn it toward the alternator. I get mine off with a 14 inch pair of Channellocks (pump pliers). Have done it in salvage yards to help out hungry Disco parts hounds, over a dozen times on my truck (put on a salvaged clutch, found out what that oily spot on the front means, put on the Chevy w/o AC clutch, swapped it out for the Chevy w/AC version - too noisy, swaped back to Chevy w/o AC), even read a post the other night and went out and popped it out to take pictures to send as a response. It is really a piece of cake. Should not need a breaker bar or cheater bar.

Attached Thumbnails doing the viscuous fan conversion-p1020486.jpg   doing the viscuous fan conversion-p1020498.jpg   doing the viscuous fan conversion-p1020497.jpg   doing the viscuous fan conversion-p1020496.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-08-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: add pix
Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually when you rent the tools at the auto parts store for 50 bucks you get the 50 bucks back when you return the tools.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes I found out you get your money back this evening the goof of a kid did not make that understood. Man alive I understand that you say this thing should come off easy but I am telling you I have spent the better part of two days out there in the heat and it is still on there. I tried the autoparts tool set and it didn't fit...yes lefty loosey yes that is the way I have been going even looked at the new one to make sure I wasn't trying to tighten it on. I have been using a 12 inch crescent and a 3lb sledge. I bought a big pry bar today....how does someone tighten the belt enough to lock the pulley?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you for the photos and every ones input I do appreciate it.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I took my truck to the muffler shop, paid them $10 cash and they removed my fan the first time because I was having the same problem as you.
Then I drove the truck home with no clutch fan and did the rest of the work myself.
Now my fan comes off with a crescent wrench and a whack of my palm.
If its never been off before you will never get it off yourself.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

how far can you drive it that way?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling

well i guess it isn't working right now so i kind of know the answer to that

Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Rock Crawling

My wife hit it with a soft hammer x3. Replaced with the Chebby A/C. Love the roar in parking lots. Not intrusive during normal use. Best of all I had a discount coming so I got out of it for less than $40.

Quick Reply: doing the viscuous fan conversion