Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Door Locks / Key fob doesnt work

Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Door Locks / Key fob doesnt work

I cannot seem to figure out why my key fob will not lock or unlock any of the doors. Its a 96 disco 1 v8, the locks move up and down manually but the key fob will not do anything at all. I already changed the battery in the fob. I have done a bunch of reading and cant seem to find too much about this issue, anyone know what it might be? ( I have not tried using the key in the door, as I heard that this can cause a lockout and prevent you from being able to start the car, if this is not true then someone please confirm this so I can give this a shot)

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:12 AM
Mudding

No one has any idea what this might be?

Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Did the remote ever work on the central locking? Is the inability of the fob to work a new development or has it been ongoing since you got the truck? If it's ongoing, someone may have bypassed the alarm module because of a failure. If it's only been since, say, the battery in the fob died, you may just have to resync the fob to the module. The procedure is best done with two people and can easily be found on the web.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Did the remote ever work on the central locking? Is the inability of the fob to work a new development or has it been ongoing since you got the truck? If it's ongoing, someone may have bypassed the alarm module because of a failure. If it's only been since, say, the battery in the fob died, you may just have to resync the fob to the module. The procedure is best done with two people and can easily be found on the web.
I only bought the truck a few months ago (in a non running, nothing working condition) and am restoring it. The fob has not worked since I bought it, so I am really not sure.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a company in the UK that will send a dongle to plug into the OBD2 port that will allow you to sync the alarm and the fob.I had to send the dongle back or loose a deposit but it took two minutes. I'm sorry I don't have the name of the company in front of me but I found it with some googling a couple of years ago.That is not an exact answer to your question I know, the power lock mechanisms in mine sound like they are getting tired and slow, I personally don't use the fob to lock.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Toss the fob and this. Problem solved.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Ankeneering
There is a company in the UK that will send a dongle to plug into the OBD2 port that will allow you to sync the alarm and the fob.I had to send the dongle back or loose a deposit but it took two minutes. I'm sorry I don't have the name of the company in front of me but I found it with some googling a couple of years ago.That is not an exact answer to your question I know, the power lock mechanisms in mine sound like they are getting tired and slow, I personally don't use the fob to lock.
So its possible to lock the whole car with the key in the driver door without immobilising the vehicle? And thanks Ill check it out to see if thats the problem.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

If you want to lock the doors without activating the alarm then yes, try this...…..

Old 03-21-2019, 06:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OverRover
If you want to lock the doors without activating the alarm then yes, try this...…..

Thank you! I went out and tested it, I realised that the driver door lock actuator does not work and this is likely why the other doors dont lock. Also, this may be a dumb question, but your response references a button inside the door, I cant find any button on the interior that resembles a lock button and no button at all on the front door??

Old 03-21-2019, 08:18 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

That description from LR can be confusing, but the "locking button" is just referring to the lock lift/****....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Locks / Key fob doesnt work