Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Doors won't unlock, key not unlocking doors...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealer mentioned alarm isn't the culprit. I have everything needed to start, read on a few other Rover Forums that mentioned same things, long story short, CPS has been the issue in all reports. Maybe I'm just hopeful its something that simple a fix.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1994 does not have CKP (crank position sensor - for trucks without a distributor, that thing with 9 wires at the front of the engine). It will have a cam shaft position sensor, but according to the RAVE should run without it on fall back to last stored values. MAF unplugged = crank, dies at 500 rpm. On a truck with a distributor there is an ignition amp module, but you said you have sparks. That leaves timing I guess.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Dealer just notified me they sprayed starting fluid into the intake, no fire, there is spark though. Also, gas tank replaced as part of the recall and I'm hopeful that tomorrow I can drive her away from the dealership. They are now saying maybe a new rotor cap, cheap easy fix.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

"cheap" and "dealer" are mutually exclusive terms in most cases.....

Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling

LR just called and said my rover will be ready at 1, good news it's getting a new rotor, bad news is its $477 out the door, parts and labor and time to properly diagnose this issue. They are also claiming my less than 2 year old optima red top is dead, I don't recall where I purchased it so I am not sure if there is any warranty associated with it anymore.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Called optima for the battery issue, since I can't locate a receipt for it from 2 years ago, my only option appears to be purchase a new one. I found one for $80 that's preowned, been plugged in a digital battery maintainer with receipt and warranty, plus exchange mine out. Almost sounds too good to be true but, with receipt and warranty its giving me a good feeling?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

1. What was done to fix the key turning and no disarm of alarm? If battery was so dead it could not unlock truck it would have been too dead to turn over starter. If battery went dead at friends place over a few days you may have a parasitic drain and will be revisiting the problem.

2. Had sparks, but needed several hours of shop time for testing to decide on distributor cap. Hmmmm.....

Old 08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Car battery was never the problem. I can only assume that they reset whatever was causing alarm to trigger. I haven't picked up the LR yet but, the service manager said I will need a new battery, from the attempted starting it caused the battery to drain. I have had nothing but, great experiences with this red top and the one I had in a previous vehicle. I can't believe something as simple as a rotor is setting me back $477. Though, they did replace gas tank for a recall that didn't pertain to my LR. I plan on asking alot of questions once the LR is released to me.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Pay with a credit card, in case you need to dispute it.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Have my LR back, labor $383, part $38. Seems a lil high to diagnose and change out my rotor. Regardless she's back.

Quick Reply: Doors won't unlock, key not unlocking doors...