Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

drinks tray - cup holder spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default drinks tray - cup holder spring?

I am replacing the broken "drinks tray" slider (called a cup holder in the owner's manual) with one I got from a 95, but I didn't see any springs on the sliding tray part. The owner's manual says you push on the leading edge to open it, but I see no way it would open like the ash tray does. Am I missing a spring or little gears of some kind?

BTW, I also got a spare clock, but the lamp in it was burned out too, so I checked the archives and ordered a pair of them on ebay at

Pair 1 x 5mm LED T5 B8 5D 2721 286 White Interior Dome 12V Light Bulb Lamp Bulbs | eBay

I hope these are the right ones, but I may also check out the advice to try a BMW dealer in case these are not correct.

BTW 2, you can remove the clock without removing the drinks tray assembly by pushing in four putty knives, two above and two below the clock, to release the plastic locking tabs that hold it.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:40 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

The drink tray you have should look like this> Land Rover Discovery 1 Dash Cup Holder Ash Tray Coin 94 95 96 97 98 99 Pop Out | eBay

Once you remove the ash tray and the switches you will see 6 screws that need to be removed. Then the assembly will come out. Looks like this (pic 4) > Land Rover Range Classic 95 Cup Holder Cupholder Delete Discovery 1 2 RARE | eBay

Re: the drink tray spring, have a look at pic 2 and you will see it top left center . I can't tell you how or if it's replaceable, never done it. > http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUP-HOLDER-C...85521034&rt=nc

Pic 5 gives a good look at the spring from the back/bottom > http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-R...53b4e2&vxp=mtr

The lamp for the clock is BAU5311L > Bulb And Holder Clock (BAU5311L Same Fit As Part # BAU5311L ) - Land Rover bulbs from Atlantic British. I've not had good luck with the LEDs. That's all I got, good luck.

Last edited by OverRover; 04-06-2015 at 10:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
philwarner (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OverRover
The drink tray you have should look like this> Land Rover Discovery 1 Dash Cup Holder Ash Tray Coin 94 95 96 97 98 99 Pop Out | eBay

Once you remove the ash tray and the switches you will see 6 screws that need to be removed. Then the assembly will come out. Looks like this (pic 4) > Land Rover Range Classic 95 Cup Holder Cupholder Delete Discovery 1 2 RARE | eBay

Re: the drink tray spring, have a look at pic 2 and you will see it top left center . I can't tell you how or if it's replaceable, never done it. > Cup Holder Cup Holder Discovery 1 2 Land Rover Range Classic 95 RARE | eBay

Pic 5 gives a good look at the spring from the back/bottom > Land Rover Range Classic 95 Dash Dual Cup Holder Cupholder Tray Wood Finisher | eBay

The lamp for the clock is BAU5311L > Bulb And Holder Clock (BAU5311L Same Fit As Part # BAU5311L ) - Land Rover bulbs from Atlantic British. I've not had good luck with the LEDs. That's all I got, good luck.
Thanks for the reference pics. Yes, that first one looks like my Discovery's; I can't tell in the photo if there is a spring on it's drinks tray - the angle may be too low to see it - but there's definitely a tray spring on the range rover ones. Looks like the RR had two ash trays instead of the Disco's ash tray and switches.

Maybe if I'm lucky the spring from the 95's ash tray section will fit the drinks tray, but I know there was none on the tray when I took the 6 screws out - must be a common failure. Guess it's no big deal if it doesn't spring out as long as it pulls out manually and holds cups.

I'll see if the eBay lamps fit before ordering from AB, but theirs does look like the same thing I have now. In the archives someone said they got one from a BMW dealer for a buck - worth a try too.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default LED clock bulb

Here is a compatible LED. You have to bend the two metal tabs a lite to get it to fit perfect. Works for D1 and D2.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/b8-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/223/1036/

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
Here is a compatible LED. You have to bend the two metal tabs a lite to get it to fit perfect. Works for D1 and D2.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-led/223/1036/
Thanks for the link. Those look similar to the eBay ones, but shorter on the LEDs. Nice to know there are lots of alternatives. They may be the same folks I bought 20 LED side lights from awhile back.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Success! Digging deeper I discovered my 98 with the broken/missing drinks tray still had a spring in it and after removing the assembly and some head scratching I figured out that it's long arm had been bent and when the slider was open it could just slip off the end of the little tab on the back of the slider where it is supposed to rest - probably why the tray was broken - from someone trying to force it back in. Also the little catch pin on the bottom that holds the tray closed was broken so it wouldn't have stayed in anyhow. The catch pin was OK on the assembly I got from the 95 so I swapped the spring to it and now it latches and comes out when you push it just like the ash tray.

The drinks tray spring is similar to the ash tray spring but longer and the end has a little bend to help it slide on the slider tab. It also falls out when you take the assembly out if the slider is not holding it in. I can post photos if anyone is interested.

Now to go put it back in the 98 and see if I can also replace the lamp in the fog light switch before I put it back in. Looks like the blind squirrel did find one acorn today.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:35 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Sounds like a WIN!