Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Driver's seat leather needs replacement

Old 11-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The real sheepskins would be very good for cold winters. We need some Elk Hunters in the group and a tanner or two.

Check Rovers North, Atlantic British, and any UK sites you can find. I know there are some very substanial ones available but the prices may exceed the value of some of our fully depreciated rigs. Unless we can wait til the head gaskets blow, pour in a big bottle of the majic elixirs and quickly get a few thousand from some naive folks.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone's are falling apart. i think at this point i'm going to do a marine stitch on them and cover them with my costco pseudoprene covers. if i could get someone to just send me the used covers i'd be really happy.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That tan duct tape stuff works rather well. Until you start using them.....

Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our SD doesn't have grab handles so that retrim kit doesn't look like it will work. But I am looking for a similar place that sells a retrim kit for my particular model.

Also replacing the entire seat from a salvage yard is a good idea but wouldn't make sense because the Discovery is located in the Caribbean. Shipping an entire seat there would be rather expensive.

Are there any other places that sell LR retrim kits that anyone knows of?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rovers North sells lots of such parts, and RAVE tells you how to replace a seat squab. BUT Rovers North just mailed many of us their winter edition, and they also have canvas covers in there at a modest price (like a little over a $100 for the front pair). So if we are in the islands, perhaps consider having a local seamstress make covers for you. But don't pay the gringo price.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Pro Wrench

you're working on an invite aren't you savannah?

well there's structural and aesthetic. canvas won't solve the structural issue on its own.

i'm either going to sew it up myself with some heavy duty line or I'm going for the upholsterer.

as you know i have some other pressing issues....which may allow me to go for solution #3....source one from the yard here>>>>>

Attached Thumbnails Driver's seat leather needs replacement-2011-10-21_12-41-17_942.jpg  
Old 11-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench

Eric....

Do you have your GBP/USD conversion calculator working properly?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Pro Wrench

Hey Peter -

You're in the Caribbean? Or I am? Or we both are?

Guessing your truck is as that water in yur pic tells tales.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been using www.roadwire.com for various other vehicles and I am currently working on 2 GMC trucks using their products to replace worn leather. I contacted them a few weeks ago about leather replacement covers for my D1 and they had the early and later D1 patterns available. The later pattern that they had available was for the seats without the grab handles. They offer the front seats and the rear as well as the jump sets and they can do any combination of them as needed. If I have them do new skins for my D1; it will be in non preforated leather. So; they do not show the Discovery on their site so you will have to contact them and I have not used their Rover kits but I have used their other offerings and was very satisfied with the fit and finish.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver's seat leather needs replacement