Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Drivetrain Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain Noise

Recently, I drove through a flooded road.

This is a 1996 disco 1 automatic.

I didn't check my wading plugs (don't know where they are yet, didn't have time to research). However, I did change my front and rear diff oil, and my transfer case oil pretty much straight after the wading. The rear diff had grey smelly oil, had had some water in it at some point. The breather hose had melted on the exhaust pipe. But the noise wasn't there before or after I changed it. It came since then. Front diff oil and transfer case oil looked normal.

I don't know if this flooded road has anything to do with my current problem or not, but I'm hearing some - what seems like drivetrain noise. It's a low hum. It's more noticeable at lower speeds. I don't know if that's because it's not being drowned out by wind and engine noise when I'm going slowly. The noise is not effected by being in gear, or neutral. Or if I'm in High range or in low range, or if the transfer box is in neutral.

I wondered if it might be a wheel bearing. I jacked up each wheel and wobbled each one top to bottom. They all have a tiny bit of play in them. The front left a tiny bit more than the other three. So I don't know what it is. I don't hear any crunching when I spin the wheels by hand.

I'm an amateur mechanic. only do my own vehicles. Still have plenty to learn.

Was going to take it camping this weekend. Might have to take the car instead. Which means I can't bring the kids bikes. Anyone have any idea what this might be, or what tests/checks I can do to find the problem?

I don't fancy driving a hundred miles and having to get it towed all the way home. I imagine a land rover is quite expensive to be towed. It's normally the one doing the towing.

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by beebe; 03-14-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Its never a good idea to stop in deep water, thats when things get flooded.
You can replace that rear axle breather with ice maker water line, its like $2 for 1,0000 feet of it.
Also remove the axle breather from the rear axle, take it apart and clean it out, they rust shut, condensation cant escape and you get water in the diff.

How long have you had your truck? Some driveline noise is normal.
Right now I cant thing of anything to make the noise.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
How long have you had your truck? Some driveline noise is normal.
Right now I cant thing of anything to make the noise.
I replaced the breather pipe with some fuel line. Cleaned out the breather screw while I had it off.

I've had it about a year.

Cheers,
Roger