Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Drivetrain Noise, now won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain Noise, now won't engage

my 1997 discovery started making more clanking noise on gear changes (automatic) than usual, then I got a strong vibration from the drivetrain. Limped home and while shifting gears in the driveway something broke and it doesn't engage at all now. Not even in Park. Any thoughts?

Last edited by crsone; 02-14-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have lost a diff or a u-joint, the system will put power toward the path with lowest load (the open shaft) and you won't move. Be careful when underneath, I'd block the wheels and not depend on the e brake or park from tranny.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I'd block the wheels and not depend on the e brake or park from tranny.
That's good advice. I learned the other day, (Almost the Hard Way), that the e-brake holds the Driveline, and NOT the tires. If the rear driveline or diff is broken, the car can still move. I was rock crawling (easily), but had two tires in the air. I set the e-brake to jump out and take a photo, but the car moved as soon as I took my foot off the brakes because two wheels were airborne. I had the door open, and almost jumped out when my foot released. It would have bumped down very hard from there.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 AM
6th Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks Savannah Buzz - Since I found a U joint in my driveway this morning I guess that must be what broke! Does this indicate a bigger problem or is it a fairly straightforward fix?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How often did you, if ever grease all your u-joints? Could just be a case of a failed joint do to wear. If you don't lube your u-joints very often you should replace all 4 and then lube them at every oil change.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM
6th Gear

Thanks Mike - I am not as good about the maintenance schedule as I should be, but I do take it to my mechanic for oil changes from time to time. It has 140000+ miles so wear is probably the problem.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM
6th Gear

I took the vehicle to my mechanic who says I need to have the transfer case rebuilt - he thinks - but he can't do it. He said something about a broken axle also but I am not overwhelmed with confidence in his diagnosis. I called a local transmission shop and they said the TC would cost around $500 but the labor would be about $1300. Does any of this sound right? How would you test the TC to see if it does indeed need to be rebuilt / replaced?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by crsone
I took the vehicle to my mechanic who says I need to have the transfer case rebuilt - he thinks - but he can't do it. He said something about a broken axle also but I am not overwhelmed with confidence in his diagnosis. I called a local transmission shop and they said the TC would cost around $500 but the labor would be about $1300. Does any of this sound right? How would you test the TC to see if it does indeed need to be rebuilt / replaced?
If you found parts of a u-joint laying in the driveway then replace all 4 u-joints and see what happens from there.
The t-case on these things are virtually indestructible.
Once u-joints are done let us know what happens next.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 AM
6th Gear

Thanks Spike

Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Mudding

I dont know about indestructable. I am working on what i believe to be a fried t case now. but i did find my driver cv joint/axle had also shreded itself so am going to test drive with new axles first before i tear down the t case and put my donor up there. but my t case was smoking and shot oil all out of it. if you found a u joint its prob the u joint i had broken several (before maint) and they start with loud vibration and then thunk chunck thunk. could revove offending drive shaft/u joint and lock in the diff to test t case.low speeds locked.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Noise, now won't engage