Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Dumb Lug Nut Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Lug Nut Question

OK, I have read the RAVE and the Owners Manual...

I wish to remove the rims so I can get a better look at these brakes and I cannot figure out how to remove these darn lug nut covers. It is not specifically mentioned in the books. Do they come off with the lug nuts?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

ugh, be careful dude, they're not technically lug nut covers as they're actually attached to the lug nut. So if they're spinning freely and youre not getting any play from the lugs themselves they may have separated, which is a bitch and sucks for you. Everyone says replace them post haste with normal people lug nuts because this type of thing happens. But long story short, they SHOULD come off with the lug, and if they're spinning......get out your tin snips

Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep, a 27 mm deep well impact socket works wonders, hammer it on if needed, use a breaker bar to turn. Beating the socket on deforms the stainless covers back to the nut, won't be pretty, but the dang thing will come off.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The covers don't come off, just push the lug nut wrench onto them

Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

If worse comes to worse you can use a 1 1/8th" socket if the alloy covers have been really deformed.

I've seen plenty of Rovers with the alloy covers torn completely off the lugs.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A small local shop that I used to use for inspections and such ruined all 20 of my lug nuts by using the wrong size socket on their impact wrench. I got rerally pissed because they even called me asking what size it was. i told trhem tthe lug wrench was in the vehicle, lbut they insisted they did not have the time to do them by hand.

I even told them to just let it sit and I wopuld be right over. Before I could get there, they had already proceeded to screw them all up then got arrogant about it. The shop owner told me to get replacements and he would pay for them. LR gets 20 bucks per lug nut. I called him back and told him I had found a used set from a salvage yard for 90.

When I went back to see them, they still got arrogant and did not want to bak up what the owner had offered on the phone.

I no longer deal with them for anything. I bought a four-way old fashioned lug wrench from Advance Auto for about 20 bucks. I also ended up buying the solid lug nuts, the ones that came on the RRC. No dressy shiny caps to come loose.

I prefer the four way lug wrench because you can get excellent leverage to get them off with. I even mounted some spring steel clamps on the side wall of the rear cargo area to secure the lug wrench in place.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Rock Crawling

They aren't totally loose. But they do wiggle a little bit. This is what threw me off and I thought that they either twist of, push and turn, etc. I must admit that I dont see the point of dressing up lug nuts like that if you have to put a socket on them anyway.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

They were nice when they were new and people want nice on expensive cars.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Mudding

Where would be a good place to get a set of 20 from a RRC for less then $100? Ive looked at AB and Ive only seen really expensive stainless ones, the ones for steel wheels or the crap ones that are already on my disco.

Quick Reply: Dumb Lug Nut Question