Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ECU compatability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
He did, they didn't work.

Swap both the security ecu and the engine management ecu and it should work
I did not know he tried, might be to much work to swap the alarm ECU's too.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I did not know he tried, might be to much work to swap the alarm ECU's too.
Nah it's not hard. However not sure if advance evap changes the ecu part number or not...

Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Spike, by now I would think that you are aware that you can not swap an ECU unless you also swap the BCU from the same donor vehicle.
And yes they ecu's are programmed differently by Rover to meet new upgrades to the engine as well as emission standards.

As for the need to start a new thread, yes, you can do that or just realize you were given bad information and I just happened to find it so you don't waste too much time making your truck right.
Still hope you answer the questions I asked so maybe we can help you, that is why you started this thread, isn't it? May find the problems have nothing to do with the ECU.
No you do not need to swap the BCU on the DI, only the DII, and on the DI its called the multi function unit.
On the DI you need to swap the alarm computer and the engine computer.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MFU has nothing to do with anything.

Matching numbers don't mean anything, the ECU has to be mated to the AS10 alarm unit. Once in a while you might get lucky. It might let you start the truck ONCE and then lock you out.

If swapping the ECU you are talking about swapping it probably won't be without issues, the AEL will probably throw codes.

I personally have been running an ECU and 10AS from an AEL truck, in my '97 NON AEL truck for a couple years. I have had ZERO issues. I have not tried this with any other AEL ECU/10AS sets to verify if it's just a fluke or if they are actually compatible. My truck passes emissions and I'm getting very good MPG for a Land Anchor.

I would be interested to hear the results of swapping the 2 units out, especially what codes it throws if it even wants to run. The 10AS isn't hard to swap out, IIRC the little nuts that hold it in place are 7mm.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish i could just gut the entire system and just install a new aftermarket ECU and alarm unit. But then, that would be illegal to make it more efficient....?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
I wish i could just gut the entire system and just install a new aftermarket ECU and alarm unit. But then, that would be illegal to make it more efficient....?
no idea on the alarm side, but the engine controls are easily duplicated more efficiently elsewhere.

youd lose your ability to do obd2 stuff though.

however, and i think this is the path ill go down with my truck, you could make a disconnect at the ecu to leave the stock harness in and just adapt it to the other ecu's connector. which would let you have the obd stuff when you need it, and the more efficient (less emissions oriented tune) when you dont.
ive done this in a few other newer cars ive installed standalone on and its a good option in cases where you have to go back to the other ecu for emissions or testing.

im sure theres lots of highway mpgs to be picked up leaning out the cruising portions of the fuel map on these. its been done before...