Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Effective Engine Improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Effective Engine Improvements?

It's not often (I hope) that the Disco engine will be disassembled to the extent it is. Are there any sort of internal upgrades or machining options that would effectively increase power without massively increasing the complexity of the job?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

It's (seriously) a Buick boat motor. There is no power to be had. Unless you put a blower on it. Enjoy it for what it is. And that's not a power plant.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Seeing as your truck has high mileage, unless you know for sure from the service history, it wouldn't be a bad time to take the next step and replace the cam, lifters and timing chain. But, I would certainly understand if you chose not to do those items for a variety of reasons. You've paid a viscous premium already for your truck.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Pro Wrench

Good point Paul. I do at least want to increase reliability as well. Do you have a ballpark idea of parts cost?

I was led to believe there's power to be had from reading things like this:

From "An heroic engine":
"Why did the “Rover” V8 live such a long life? Unlike the A-series engine, which was successful despite its shortcomings, the ex-Buick unit did not really have any. It was light, it was compact, it was powerful – and most importantly, it was exceptionally under stressed, which meant it had an almost infinite potential for tuning."

Also, toddco sells a modified Land Rover 5.0HO engine with 320HP 340 FTLBS torque.

From reading previous threads it's pretty clear there's little to be gained from external upgrades like exhaust and intake so I thought "why not internal?" But if it's already reached much of it's potential like you're saying then that's ok.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Big engines like that are fine in a sports car like a TVR or a Morgan where you want insane speeds. As far as out trucks are concerned, they're rolling brick s**thouses and as such, higher power only brings on a degree of fragility that I don't think is really worth it. Stick to the basics and you'll be happier and safer with a more reliable engine.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Unlike Detroit iron, which is built with the same chassis for multiple versions, each with slightly larger engine; the Disco is built for outdoor fun, not speed. It's no BMW for handling, has high center of gravity, etc. Increased HP will fail other components not rated for such (tranny, transfer case, prop shafts). So while it would be possible to make a Disco go faster in a straight line, that field of sport is already dominated by others.

IMHO Paul is right, you have paid the tuition for the College of Hard Knocks and should be expecting that sheepskin just any day now. Reliability issues like water pump and radiator and hoses, then get to know your vehicle before you decide on any more investment. Would advise when complete with this project to rent/borrow (from auto parts store) a coolant pressure tester and a compression tester, so you can check to be sure (a) your work is sound (why would it not be with dozens of forum members looking over your shoulder?); and (B) something like piston rings is not waiting to grab you.

BTW - enough wrenching and paper grading - off to a meal out, and it can not be on the same route with an auto parts or tool store....

Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always stroke it to a 4.6 and put a cam in it but thats opening a whole new can of worms. I think going with the Toddco 5.0 would be awesome but with that mutch power I beleive the rest of the drivetrain (trans, transfer case, rears, etc) wouldnt handle that mutch torque

Old 09-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You could look at aftermarket gauges, like Glow shift and others, for oil PSI, etc. Knowing that oil pressure is above 7 PSI gives all of us a warm fuzzy feeling, knowing exactly where it is must be fabulous.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-28-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Pro Wrench

ok thanks for the advice. I'll stick with reliability investments for now. I'll look into the cams, lifters, and timing chains.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I AGREE, IF YOU JUICE IT, IT WILL JUST BREAK EASIER AND MORE FREQUENTLY. And tear up more stuff if not flipping it and killing yourself. It ain't no racetruck.

I know mine has gotten more resonsive every time I accomplish something. Like new plugs and good 8mm spark plug wires help a lot. O2 sensors that are good also help tremendously and increase mpg.

Fixing your HG will help tremendously. New hoses, serp belt, things that avoid a major breakdown are what you need to focus on.

And always using premiun gas. My son put low octane in mine and it ran terribly. 93 octane made a hell of a difference.