Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical problem

Hello all. My Landy has been having a pretty solid electrical problem recently, and I would love to get some feedback on it, so I came to the experts.I drive a 1996 Discovery I. I should add that I have replaced the turn signal stalk as part of another issue, and this stalk seems to be perfectly fine as the problems associated with it have gone away. But this new problem effects the entire truck. It's intermittent, and I am pretty sure its triggered by water (my guess a short in a wiring harness or the like) I have noticed that the wires for the rear bumper lights and the front right running light aren't exactly "protected" or "covered by anything" near the light. So I will tape those up and get them sealed but this problem seems like more than that.

Symptoms: When I brake, it cuts power to the; rear window wiper, rear view mirror. It also dimly illuminates the inside central turn signal on the dash, and the heated window button to the left of the dash. When I use the right turn signal (left works fine) while braking, it blinks once, then maybe again after about 10 -15 seconds. When I let off the brakes, it will blink rapidly as if it needs a new bulb. (I do not think it does, because this only happens with this short) When I use my blinker, the rear lights on the left and in the back door go dim or out, and the license plate lights, bumper lights, reverse light,, and fog light all blink very dimly (similar to a cop car). The left side remains intact and perfect. (photo attached is when the right indicator is going.) When I brake, the same lights as before get very dim, and the reverse and fog light are triggered as well, and all the side markers dimmed as well. Cats and dogs, living together.

I think it is caused by water, as this only seems to happen when it rains, or when I hit large puddles. But I don't have proof of that. I'm hoping that someone has seen something similar and has some ideas. Either way, I would love any feedback anyone has. Thank you!

Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I can't exactly tell from the pic but is that a trailer plug on the rear bumper........ I'd start there. Your main complaint is about lights wigging out and that would be the first spot I'd check for frisky wiring. By the way your sig says "SD" and the Disco shows SE7, have sunroofs?

Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I can't exactly tell from the pic but is that a trailer plug on the rear bumper........ I'd start there. Your main complaint is about lights wigging out and that would be the first spot I'd check for frisky wiring. By the way your sig says "SD" and the Disco shows SE7, have sunroofs?
My trailer hookups are inside the truck actually (to be pulled out and connected when needed), but that is still a solid place to check first. Thanks for the feedback.