Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

EMECU- Engine Management Electronic Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EMECU- Engine Management Electronic Control Unit

Hello all Disco lovers,

so after 3 months of trying to get my disco started i think i found the prob. a bad Engine Management Electronic Control Unit. sucks, i have replaced a fuel pump and filter, tps, crankshaft sensor. ripped my dash apart for a spider box to find that theirs not one.Truck cranked over just wouldn't start. Anyways i found my emecu to be rusted and carotid. So i am looking to see if anyone knows where i can get one, and if i can just plug it in and go.

Thanks Rover714

Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Since no spider, you must have a newer D1. You would want to get an ECU and the green alarm module as a matched pair. I was lucky and got just the ECU from the boneyard and it worked. Paul Grant is a dismantler who sells them, he posts on here frequently.

If you edit your signature and add truck year, and location, sometimes others are near you, etc.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

What year and where are you? I swapped the one in my 98 ecm and did not change alarm box but I would get it just in case, I got mine from a u pull yard

Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 PM
4wd Low

cleveland ohio found a nice one on ebay $125 numbers match

Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Can be had cheaper, find a u pull

Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Like $30 at LKQ near me.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I just listed a matched pair out of the '98 LSE I'm parting (w/AEL). I think the price for the pair is $100 including shipping.

Before you buy anything, what version of the evaporative emissions system do you have? You must make sure to match the ECU with the evap system or you will perpetually have codes. Is your charcoal cannister (on the right inner fender wall back from the battery) round or rectangular? If it's rectangular you have the Advanced Evap system (AEL). You need an ECU mapped for that system. The change to AEL occurred early in the '97 MY.

The next thing you want to do is make sure to get the matching alarm ECU. Yes, you can SOMETIMES drop an EFI ECU into a DI and have it work but it's a crap shoot at best. Making sure you get the matching alarm ECU eliminates any need for syncing the EFI ECU.

Another thing, you can buy an ECU cheaper at a u-pull junkyard but I doubt it will come with a warranty and you have absolutely no idea whether the truck was running, running well or DOA when it came into the yard. Therefore, you could be paying $30 or more for a useless shiny box. Again, a crap shoot.

If it turns out you have a truck with AEL and need/want to go with the EFI and Alarm ECU's, the pair I have come with a 60 day warranty. They also came in on a customers truck. He drove the truck to me and I know what why it was sold for parts (overheated on his wife). I doubt you get that level of information/detail/warranty from a u-pull junkyard.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

re: You must make sure to match the ECU with the evap system or you will perpetually have codes

Sounds very much like my problem.....

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The new ECU really should be reset before being placed in your truck. The adaptive values are likely way off, and who knows if it had any codes on the donor vehicle. I wish this was something Will, PT, and Paul did before sending them. Few people have the diagnostic systems required to do this.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM
4wd Low

ok i will look for the charcoal cannister it is rectangular. i did find a nice ecu where all numbers matched but the data number. But Paul could you pm me your info would like to talk to you about your ecu.

Thanks Rover714

Quick Reply: EMECU- Engine Management Electronic Control Unit