Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

emergency issue with steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation emergency issue with steering wheel

Aside from key being locked in the god dam ignition, i think i may have broken the steering wheel. Was trying to turn it back in forth in an effort to remove the key, something snaped and as a result the steering wheel now moves freely in any direction. Can now be spun sevenfold! It feels as if it no longer connected to the steering system. Is there a quick do it yourself adjustment that can be done to fix the issue so i can steer again? Im at work and if i cannot get it working my rig will probally be towed! Please help. Useful detailed replies please!!!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

My camera is broken at the moment so ill have to rely on detailed description. As of tbis moment i had a work associate look at the rig and he noted that the long silver steering shaft (long steel shaft with a special plastic tarp material over it, one end connects directly into the stering gearbox) is missing a bolt down near where the shaft connects to the gearbox. But i dont ever remember there being a bolt there in the first place. Also i do believe that when the steering wheel is turned the shaft does not turn with it like it should.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you looked at the linkage in the engine compartment? Sounds like one of the u-joints may be slipping.
Short of the steering wheel coming off the shaft splines, I can't think of anything in the cabin that would allow it to spin endlessly.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=antichrist;252864]Have you looked at the linkage in the engine compartment? Sounds like one of the u-joints may be slipping.
Short of the steering wheel coming off the shaft splines, I can't think of anything in the cabin that would allow it to spin endlessly.

U-joint??? Are you refering to the front driveshaft u-joint? Or are there u-joints in the steering system? And yes ive looked in the engine compartment. As mentioned before when you turn the steering wheel it will spin without any resistence, and take note that when turrning the steering wheel, the long steering shaft in the engine compartment does not rotate the least.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just went out and looked at mine (never paid much attention to it before now).

Unsnap that heat shield and you can see the entire linkage. There is an upper and a lower univerdal joint just like Tom reffered to. You may not realize they are universal joints, but they are. There is also a splined area in the center. That is the linkage from the steering wheel to the steering box. If the long steering shaft ain't turning, that is your main problem, try to figure out why since you can see it and we cannot.

Next time, try finesse when fooling with the key being stuck. Whatever snapped should be obvious. Let us know the results.

I learn so much from these horror stories. Brute force is not always the best route when encountering problems with these old Rovers. Slow down, try the easy approach, coax it a little, beg it if you have to, then if all else fails, pound the hell out of it.

Take a good look at it and see where the "disconnect", difuggulty, problem, or whatever you want to call it is. If the

Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I just went out and looked at mine (never paid much attention to it before now).

Unsnap that heat shield and you can see the entire linkage. There is an upper and a lower univerdal joint just like Tom reffered to. You may not realize they are universal joints, but they are. There is also a splined area in the center. That is the linkage from the steering wheel to the steering box. If the long steering shaft ain't turning, that is your main problem, try to figure out why since you can see it and we cannot.

Next time, try finesse when fooling with the key being stuck. Whatever snapped should be obvious. Let us know the results.

I learn so much from these horror stories. Brute force is not always the best route when encountering problems with these old Rovers. Slow down, try the easy approach, coax it a little, beg it if you have to, then if all else fails, pound the hell out of it.

Take a good look at it and see where the "disconnect", difuggulty, problem, or whatever you want to call it is. If the
Thanks Danny. I admit that i have alittle bit of an anger problem somtimes... I mean im in a rush to get to work today (keep in mind im currently driving wothout primary brake system!) I parrell park, turn off the ignition (only 10 minutes before i have to punch in) and my dam key gets stuck in the ignition worse then ever before... I wiggle the wheel lightly, double check to make sure the ebrake is off, and that im in park. Double checked to make sure headlights were off and still that bloody key just would not come out! So i got pissed cursed to hell and wiggled the wheel violently until i heard a thump...

At any rate after alittle help from a work mate and rovrsnorth i was able to identify the problem and temporarily fix it! Turns out one of the bolts in the lower shaft u-joint came out some how and as a result i lost the ability to steer. As it turns out i happen to have afew extra brand new rear driveshaft and oil pan bolts in my tool box, inserted it in and it seems to fit perfectly. Looks almost identical to the other u-joint bolts to! I tightened it up and made sure the wheels were aligjned properly with the steering wheel. Have not test drove yet but i started the ignition and turned the wheels afew times - so far so good. Im alittle nervious about driving being as unsure as im but its another risk i take.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like a fault in the Key Barrel Switch, Transmission Range Selector Switch or the Ignition Key Lock Solenoid.
If they aren't working correctly you can't remove the key as the Key Lock Solenoid (K191) doesn't get disabled.

If I recall correctly the steering shaft u-joint bolts are 8mm. Be sure they are correct, you don't want a repeat while driving down the road.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Slow down, try the easy approach, coax it a little, beg it if you have to, then if all else fails, pound the hell out of it.
That's how I started dating my wife.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Driving without the primary brake system is not advisable either, without steering is just the next higher degree of risk I guess.

When my wife's niece asked her grandfather to buy her a car so she could get to work, he advised her to "Buy a Damn Bicycle."