Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine, Auto Transmission, Transfer Case and Axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011 | 07:56 PM

I believe you are in for quite a really good learning experience. It will be interesting to see what you are able to get for those major items.
Completely rebuilt engines in shipping crates are in the 2 grand ranges, used would be a fraction of that and purely the condition will determine the value. I recall you saying you had Unresoved Misfires Issues, that significantly decreases the fair value of the engine. Iwould not even venture a guess, especially with 200K on it and not much history to show.

Transmission: Again a high milage item with unknown service history, what would you want to pay for that?

Transfer case: See above.

Axles: Same as above. Maybe 100 bucks each if it's the whole thing. You could get more selling it with the wheels,tires, and that lift still attached.

You best payback in my personal belief is either selling the body panels to someone needing a fender, door, or other item. If that does not work, cut the body off with a sazall or similar recip saw. I have a badass yellow monster from Lowes that has a demolition blase that would lay off that body like cutting thru butter. Especially if you are selling it as scrap. Here Aluminum will get you 3 bucks a pound or so. How much does the AL on a LR total?

Your new D/S may get you $150 -maybe 200. The switches can get you several dollars, especially if you group several. The ECU, the window ECU, did the sound system work? Seats can get you some money, then after you got all that out of your way, the engine is exposed, the body and interior are gone, see if anyone wants the complete front axles complete with the tires, wheels, spring left intact. Then crate that and ship it surface freight.

You can throw all the wire bundles into a large box or trash bag, and a recycler will pay you for that as well. Less than stripped copper, but not a bad price either.

Plus you got the starter and alternator. You can either sell the motor complete or pull the intake and sell it and the maf? Sell the basic block to someone to rebuild if no one wants it complete.

That is how I would approach it. I am sure some may agree, some may not. They know where to click.

Isn't Gaithersburg near Washington DC Beltway?

I usually try to avoid that since I got rid of all my high speed road cars. Boy I miss them. 280ZX2+2, Volvo240, Bronco 351, Benz 420, Porsche 928. Now I just poke along in this Rover or have it up on jack stands replacing some damn thing or another.

Old 06-23-2011 | 08:39 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I believe you are in for quite a really good learning experience. It will be interesting to see what you are able to get for those major items.
Completely rebuilt engines in shipping crates are in the 2 grand ranges, used would be a fraction of that and purely the condition will determine the value. I recall you saying you had Unresoved Misfires Issues, that significantly decreases the fair value of the engine. Iwould not even venture a guess, especially with 200K on it and not much history to show.

Transmission: Again a high milage item with unknown service history, what would you want to pay for that?

Transfer case: See above.

Axles: Same as above. Maybe 100 bucks each if it's the whole thing. You could get more selling it with the wheels,tires, and that lift still attached.

You best payback in my personal belief is either selling the body panels to someone needing a fender, door, or other item. If that does not work, cut the body off with a sazall or similar recip saw. I have a badass yellow monster from Lowes that has a demolition blase that would lay off that body like cutting thru butter. Especially if you are selling it as scrap. Here Aluminum will get you 3 bucks a pound or so. How much does the AL on a LR total?

Your new D/S may get you $150 -maybe 200. The switches can get you several dollars, especially if you group several. The ECU, the window ECU, did the sound system work? Seats can get you some money, then after you got all that out of your way, the engine is exposed, the body and interior are gone, see if anyone wants the complete front axles complete with the tires, wheels, spring left intact. Then crate that and ship it surface freight.

You can throw all the wire bundles into a large box or trash bag, and a recycler will pay you for that as well. Less than stripped copper, but not a bad price either.

Plus you got the starter and alternator. You can either sell the motor complete or pull the intake and sell it and the maf? Sell the basic block to someone to rebuild if no one wants it complete.

That is how I would approach it. I am sure some may agree, some may not. They know where to click.

Isn't Gaithersburg near Washington DC Beltway?

I usually try to avoid that since I got rid of all my high speed road cars. Boy I miss them. 280ZX2+2, Volvo240, Bronco 351, Benz 420, Porsche 928. Now I just poke along in this Rover or have it up on jack stands replacing some damn thing or another.
Yes Danny I imagine it will be one HELL of a learning experience. My projection for selling the engine was $500, taking into account a cylinder 6 missfire and that a rebuild would give any buyer a large profit. Another $500 for the Transmission. $500 for the transfer case. Not sure about the axles. $1-300 each axle. ( possibly include tires and calipers and rotors unless someone else wants them). Not sure yet.

Old 06-23-2011 | 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Don't forget construction equipment rental yards - might have just what you need for a lot less than $250

Old 06-24-2011 | 10:37 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
Good eye Chris-Bob!!! Just checked it out. Which one would be ideal for my project of removing the engine, transmission, transfer case and axles? 1 Ton or 2 ton?

Search results for: 'engine hoist'
1 ton is more than enough for the job. Remember, the block and housings are aluminum on these Rovers.

Old 06-24-2011 | 12:07 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
1 ton is more than enough for the job. Remember, the block and housings are aluminum on these Rovers.
Great news then, thanks much. Looks like ill be getting the $199 1 ton engine hoist then. Have to wait 2 more weeks though. Yesterday I bought 1 set of 6 ton floor jacks, next thursday im getting the other set then the week after that Ill get the hoist.

On a side note do any of you know the manufacturer and part numbers for my engine, transmission, transfer case and axles?

Old 06-24-2011 | 03:15 PM

You are expecting one thousand for the Tranny and transfer case together, more realistic is less than 500 for both together. Do not forget shipping.

But of course go ahead with your plans, consider it tuition for the learning experience. At least if you buy decent jackstands and a lift, you will be better prepared. If you were pulling a bad engine to replace it with a good one and reuse the Rover, doing it like the others suggested is the correct way to do it. In the case of gutting it to salvage and scrapping what don't sell, I would follow the route I suggested. Let us know of your progress.

I'll get with you on a group of items I am interested in if no one else rushes to buy them.

EDIT: THE REDNECK DICTIONARY DEFINES ROI AS REDNECK OPPORTUNITY FOR INCOME. AS IN I GET MAXIMUM ROI BY PICKING UP ITEM ON TRASH DAY THAT OTHER PEOPLE THROW AWAY AND GUT THE COPPER AND ALUMINUM FROM THEM FOR MAXIMUM ROI.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 06-24-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2011 | 03:36 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
You are expecting one thousand for the Tranny and transfer case together, more realistic is less than 500 for both together. Do not forget shipping.

But of course go ahead with your plans, consider it tuition for the learning experience. At least if you buy decent jackstands and a lift, you will be better prepared. If you were pulling a bad engine to replace it with a good one and reuse the Rover, doing it like the others suggested is the correct way to do it. In the case of gutting it to salvage and scrapping what don't sell, I would follow the route I suggested. Let us know of your progress.

I'll get with you on a group of items I am interested in if no one else rushes to buy them.

EDIT: THE REDNECK DICTIONARY DEFINES ROI AS REDNECK OPPORTUNITY FOR INCOME. AS IN I GET MAXIMUM ROI BY PICKING UP ITEM ON TRASH DAY THAT OTHER PEOPLE THROW AWAY AND GUT THE COPPER AND ALUMINUM FROM THEM FOR MAXIMUM ROI.
I would accept even $500 for both the tyranny and the case if someone offered. But for the engine no less than $500 and maybe $200 per full axle. If no one takes the panels or the body then ill sell them to a metal scrap yard. Hesitant about sawing the front end, because what if someone wants part of it? Well so far the lift the hid lights, spare tire and 5 lug nut coveres are about to be sold.

Old 06-24-2011 | 07:16 PM

What I said is remove ALL of the removable body panels. The RAVE has a Body Repair section, study it. And only use the saw as a last resort to hack off something if needed. A guy I worked with in Florida totalled out a nice F250 4X4 years ago. He sawed the body right off and made a really badass toy out of it that way. 460 big block, late 70's or early to mid 80's. He turned it into a swamp buggy for crashing thru the mangroves.

Sell off all the electronic boxes, switches, interior pieces, and all that you can remove. That way you will get as much back as possible.

Be patient and you will do the best.