Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine Rebuild - Performance/Reliability Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
If I did it all over again I'd use Allmakes tappets, rods, rockers, rocker shaft, and HG kit from BP for cheap. I'd source the cam, and timing set from somewhere else though.

Rovers North has parts too.
Do you get Allmakes through Atlantic British? Seems like some of the parts I've bought from AB were that brand. What is BP?

If it goes through I think I'll just do an aftermarket cam and OE or better timing set. What about the oil pump? Is it rebuildable or does it need to be replaced?

The way the prof was talking it may be out of my price range, but again he was talking to the stealership... I sent him phone numbers and websites for AB, RN, and D&D. Hopefully between those three I can get him to drop the price of the deposit.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

British Pacific = BP. Yes, Allmakes distributed products are retailed by several online stores. Oil pump is a very good idea and easily rebuildable with kit part # GPK001.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Winching

Well, after talking to AB, RN, and D&D the prof still says he thinks it will take about $3k to $4k of parts to go through everything. He dropped the deposit from $3500 to $3k but warned worst case scenario it could still be a $5000 rebuild (he was saying $6k to $7k worst case before).

This is out of my price range, so I guess all bets are off. I'm sure I could buy a better cared-for, low-mileage D1 or D2 for well under $5k when this one blows up. For now I'll search for coolant leaks and run thick oil.

Sadface...

BP does seem to have awesome prices on engine parts, I will keep them in mind if I ever undertake major engine work myself.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Pro Wrench

That doesn't add up to me. It shouldn't be more than 1500 for all the parts you'll need in a rebuild if your valves, pistons, and rods are reusable.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Winching

I know it doesn't add up, I'm pretty frustrated actually. I'd love to have it redone but a $3000 deposit eats up most of my savings.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Winching

They do outsource machine work to a local engine rebuilder, I understand they get a great discount but that may still be a significant chunk of the cost. He did indicate $3k in parts but I think maybe he's just not interested in this vehicle. He seemed pretty scared about what a "rare" vehicle it was, which seemed odd but it is true there aren't many on the road in SE Idaho.

Said he could rebuild a 350 Chev for about $1100 to $1300 TOTAL but was not willing to entertain thoughts of doing a swap for me...

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 01-03-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Rare my ***. Land Rover sold tons of these things. Even if they are rare, it's just a pushrod V8. There's nothing special about rebuilding one. He has the RAVE too. It's not a direct injected variable-geometry turbo diesel rotary with variable valve timing

I paid 1200 for my machine work, and that included full block and head work plus seals, valve guides, moly rings, and two new rods.

All together I'd guess around 2000$ for everything. That's 1500 for parts and 500 for machining.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Winching

I think I'll just have to rebuild it myself sometime next year when I'm (hopefully) out of school and settled in to a good job. I'd love to do it now but homework is like a sponge for my spare time.

I don't put many miles on this rig, I think I can keep it alive another year or two before it desperately needs a rebuild.

You are right on the price I'm sure, but the prof is adamant about that $3k deposit and didn't think I'll see any of it back. Given those odds, I think it's better to wait, keep money in the bank, and do it myself later.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
So I got a call from the automotive department and I think they are trying to price me out of having it rebuilt. A bit disappointed by that. The professor had been on the phone with the Land Rover dealer several times throughout the day and told me it could easily be $3k to $4k for parts. He wants a $3500 deposit to even touch it!
He's quoting dealer parts, I'm sure. Land Rover pistons are over $100 each. Ask him for a parts list of what he thinks you'll need, and then supply him the parts from someone else.

Check out the difference between an allmakes 4.0L piston and a land rover one:

Land Rover parts, spares, Land Rover accessories - Search results for ERR5553

LAND ROVER PARTS - PISTON ASSEMBLY - 4.0L V-8

Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Winching

I just sent him an e-mail requesting a parts list, I'll follow up tomorrow by phone. I tend to fall into the "$1500 is plenty for parts, use aftermarket as needed" school of thought, if I can sway the guy I'll still get my new engine. But if not... Oh well. I sent the professor the piston example and explained that the price should come down quite a bit by going with aftermarket parts.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 01-03-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild - Performance/Reliability Upgrades?