Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Exhaust advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015 | 02:03 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Anyone have part #'s for the y-pipe exhaust gaskets? I need the top 2 that mate the y-pipe to exhaust manifold flanges and single bottom one that mates y-pipe to muffler pipe flange. I found them online but was curious if anyone has a O'reillys or Vatozone p/n for these. TIA.

Did a induction cleaning on it yesterday (removed cats last Friday) and saw that those joints were leaking. Smoked like a mudder phucker! Luckily no leaks from my welds Truck sound effin rad and has more pep in her step. She's definitely breathing a lot better now. Temps are even lower than before. About 175*-180* after a 30 minute highway commute from my base to my house. The RPM's is where I notice it the most. I could never break 4000 RPM's before as I suspect my cats were both clogged the ***** up. She now accelerates past that with no problems. I'm putting new spark plugs and wires this weekend as I'm sure that they got a little fouled from the induction cleaning and initial startup with no cats.

Old 04-08-2015 | 02:43 PM
Camel Trophy

The manifold to downpipe is ETC4524, Land Rover Exhaust Gasket (Same Fit As Genuine Part # ETC4524) - Land Rover Engine Parts

I don't think there is a gasket between the Y pipe and the muffler flanges. I used a little hi-temp rtv and it seems to be sealing ok.

Old 04-09-2015 | 11:31 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Was looking to get it locally, not from online... I actually do not need that one anymore. I gave both sides another tightening and they were good to go. Guess my initial torque wasn't enough or they loosened up on me. No more leak from the top two. They do make a gasket for the bottom one according to Vatozone. I will have to spend the $5.99 to find out. If not, hi-temp rtv it is...

Old 09-17-2015 | 08:49 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by socal1200r
Wow, that is a tiny muffler. I have a Thrush all-welded chambered muffler on mine, 2.5 in/out, and replaced the rear resonator with a small glasspack. Has a nice rumble to it, no one will mistake it for anything other than a V8. Also replaced the Y-pipe with new cats as well, and new O2 sensors. I'm hoping to take it to Cali in the next year, so it has to have these things in order to pass the emissions test. Now the cats in the Y-pipe are not the ones for CA, so we'll have to wait and see what happens...
Robert,
I was looking into a similar setup with the Thrush muffler, minus the glasspack....are you still happy with it? You wouldnt by any chance have a video of the truck running would you? Like to see how it sounds with Thrush / glasspack combo.

Old 09-21-2015 | 09:09 AM
Baja

I have no cats, same thrush welded and a plain tail pipe, sounds like a Chevy v8 with a flowmaster, its loud when get on it, I previously had a regular thrush muffler on there and it was quiet but rotted out fast between wheeling and winter road salt

I also have no carpets so louder in cab then normal, cats may make it a little quieter, you can always do the muffler and if its to loud add the tail pipe glass pack later

Last edited by TOM R; 09-21-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2015 | 03:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TOM R
I have no cats, same thrush welded and a plain tail pipe, sounds like a Chevy v8 with a flowmaster, its loud when get on it, I previously had a regular thrush muffler on there and it was quiet but rotted out fast between wheeling and winter road salt

I also have no carpets so louder in cab then normal, cats may make it a little quieter, you can always do the muffler and if its to loud add the tail pipe glass pack later

Thats sorta what I was planning on anyways. The idea of adding a glasspack (8-12in) as a resonator never crossed my mind. Started to look for videos of a similar exhaust setup on YouTube just so I could see what that sounded like and cant seem to find anything. My curiosity just got me going....

Old 09-22-2015 | 12:00 AM
Baja

Think 80/90s Chevy pu's with 305 and flow master, thrush welded is same muffler like half the price