Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Exhaust Leak Noise... or HGs???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust Leak Noise... or HGs???

Hello Fellow rovers.

Ive had what sounds like an exhaust leak for a few months. Usually only makes noise on cold start and not after warm up is complete. Now I hear the noise all the time. Ive been under her to check the where the leak is coming from and cant seem to pin it down. I'm preparing myself to get bad news from my LR mechanic (actual LR mechanic) that its not an exhaust leak and its infact the head gasket. Im not having any coolant loss, no oil in coolant, my cooling system is 85% brand new (same water pump but is a recent brass impeller) and my temps never go above 201 F on extended mountain uphill 100+f day. Its sad because she is sounds like a old chevy blazer..................

I was hoping for help to pin symptoms between the HG and exhaust mani gasket or manifolds....

Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Same thing just happend to my D1. Noise got a lot louder all the time, where it had been quiet after brief warm up. Exhaust shop took a rubber hose and went along edge of gasket, it was easy to find. See pix over in my post about HG and shade tree. I had taken it to shop with new exhaust gaskets and studs. Mine burned a hole right out the side, and if you keep driving it can melt a groove in the block, expensive to repair.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-09-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Shes a 96 with 172K on her... Chances are she's had HGs before by now don't you think? do you think there's a chance that its just the manifolds or manifold gaskets??? 1700-2200 for a HG job at the mechanic sounds horrible since ive spent 3100 on transmission repairs this year already. And I highly doubt that even an experienced LR mechanic will be OCD with all the other maint as you did savanna, like all the cleaning and careful refitting. at least without racking up charges along the way to surprise me with..... looks like im about to learn my way out of this if its a HG... the best part is that i'm light on tools and support from my LR widow.

Thanks..

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said, the rubber hose will help you zero in on it. Mine is a 97 with 185, and the heads had been replaced. Bolt on one head were very easy to remove, other side required some ummph...

Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Exclamation

Reporting back. My passenger side exhaust manifold was mounted loose and was missing a bolt. Quick 5 minute fix. I did discover that the HGs have a seeping oil leak but not exhaust gas or pressure. So very soon they will have to be done anyways before they have a complete failure. Better sooner than later. I will only drive her a little and ill begin to buy all the gear I need for the HG job to lessen the blow when the time comes to dig in

MY MAIN QUESTION??

$2500 to do HG and valve job at a private land rover mechanic (top notch rover techs) owner was a driver in the G4 competition, (cut heads, new bolts, seals, steam clean rockers, tbody cleaning ect.)

Does that price seem fair or off the mark?

I'm leaning towards doing the job myself with some help over the next month to save the $2000. I'm figuring 6 hours each Saturday for 4 weeks should be enough time to complete the job not including rockers and heads in the shop.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Do it your self. Budget for more time. Trust me on that part....

Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

BTW, the oil port to the head is in just on place, and it is pretty small. Valve cover gaskets are much more likely to leak and run down. Might try snugging those up first, 8mm 12 pount skinny socket.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Question

I tighten up the valve covers every oil change but I can see a little bead of oil coming out between the seals (the gaskets are old I know) My front seal is leaking from the crankshaft and ill be resolving that in 1000 miles at my next oil change.
I gave permission to my mechanic to be a real stickler with the overall condition on my rover. He came to the conclusion that my HGs are failing and should be replaced soon. also recommended a transfer case reseal (Tcase works fine, just filling it up with heavy oil) I'm reluctant to begin the HG job just yet since I have such low temps (even in very hot southern California weather with a/c on) never over 201F (new cooling system though), oil is coolant free, no coolant loss, and now the noise is resolved.... Really seems like the HGs are holding on well. He also said its likely its still the 1st set of HGs in her. Shes got 173K miles on the clock. He pointed out two bolts with a specially bent flange lock over the bold head and that's what indicated to him that the HGs are original since they didn't look tampered with.
I own a rover and I have no delusion that the HGs are going to have to be done. For now ill keep a good eye on things to avoid warping my heads or killing my block in the event of a full HG failure.

96 Disco 173K
rebuilt trans 15K ago, hancook atm 235/75/16, nissen radiator, AB radiator hoses, OEM 180 tstat, OEM fan clutch, Rebuild condenser fans, new rotoflex.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

You may also try some White Shepherd oil treatment for the TC, and the engine. Swells seals slightly.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Smile

would I just add some of this stuff in with the new gear oil when i'm refilling it?
TC takes about 3quts? Lucas 85/140 seems to be my ticket
THANKS!!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak Noise... or HGs???