Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fan clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan clutch question

Gents, feeling a bit bad because I havent been able to post in the "What did I do to your Disco today " thread . Its actually been running good and the hood has been closed for a few days. I beat it around town today for about 40 minutes and she runs great but i do notice the a/c fans do come on more than before. This happened after I had to trouble shoot my cooling system last week. New stat, hoses , water wetter and resoldered the water temp wires back into the connector and tossed it back on the stat housing. Question is about the main fan attached to the water pump. I thought i had read that it should spin in conjunction with the rpm's of the truck ? This morning , as a goof, i fired her up and yanked on the cable on the throttle body to jack up the rpm's. The fan still seemed to move at the speed of the water pump / drive belt and not the acclerated rpms. I may have misunderstood what i have previously read, but should this spin faster than i am seeing ?

Thx.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know but your lineup there is pretty impressive. i especially like the buell's.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Thx Sling, getting the 9s ready as we speak for a racing this weekend. Love em too , except for the piggish Harley engine ! I miss PR , that was part of my old sales territory. Ithink i left half of my liver on that island. Had a plant in Bayamon and stayed at the Caribe or El San Juan most of the time .Fajardo was my favorite place , cant beat El Conquistador . I passed out on Palomino island last year and spent a day in the hospital for sun stroke ! Medalla is the best beer and Raices has rockin PR food ! Maybe i should take a Rover trip to see you !

Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I ever bought another bike it would be a Buell. I would be happy to just have it sitting there to look at.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The viscous drive clutch is a power coupling. While it is "asleep" overnight, all the silicone inside oozes to one side. You fire up the motor, and the viscous clutch is fully coupled, and on my D1 at that point it sucks enough air through the grille to make the AC fans spin a little, even though AC is not turned on. Air "roar" will diminish is about 1 - 2 minutes as silicone circulates inside clutch and clutch warms up . At "normal" running temp, the power coupling drops to about 20%. As clutch warms up in air flow from radiator, and faceplate of clutch gets warmer, the clutch will increase power coupling, to about 60%. Some HD clutches go a little higher.

If you worked on you system, would want to be sure the fan blades are correct direction, cupped side of blades toward block. With engine cold and off, spin and release fan, should go maybe 1/4 turn, feel like peanut butter inside clutch. Warm up engine, and turn off. Repeat test. Fan should not spin over 1 revolution, usually will stop with in 1/2. If it freewheels, then the fluid inside has been lost, and you are not getting full cooling at idle or slow. Mine was so wimpy it would stop by itself when AC fans kicked on (they were wired bass ackwards by PO). There is a nice write up in the tech section for a $50 (about) Chevy clutch that is same size (six inch), same reverse rotation, and same water pump thread. If stuck away from parts store or on a squeeze the nickle and make the buffalo jump budget, most junkyards have Chevys, and a late 1990's - early 2000's clutch and fan will bolt right up if fan is slightly modded. About $20.

With a wimpy fan clutch, it may not respond to the increased rpm.

Your rad could be clogged internally with calcium build up, removed mine, had small indy shop hot flush and rod it out for about $70, they actually unsolder one of the side tanks (copper and brass).

Attached Thumbnails Fan clutch question-p1120262.jpg   Fan clutch question-imagesca7hyof8.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Thx Buzz. BTW, that water pump looks like it has more silicone around it than Pamela Andersons **** !

I love it ! Ive got more JB Weld around the door frames I think the state of Connecticut it completely out of stock. Whatever works !

Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Boxkid1
Thx Sling, getting the 9s ready as we speak for a racing this weekend. Love em too , except for the piggish Harley engine ! I miss PR , that was part of my old sales territory. Ithink i left half of my liver on that island. Had a plant in Bayamon and stayed at the Caribe or El San Juan most of the time .Fajardo was my favorite place , cant beat El Conquistador . I passed out on Palomino island last year and spent a day in the hospital for sun stroke ! Medalla is the best beer and Raices has rockin PR food ! Maybe i should take a Rover trip to see you !
ha i didnt know. just got lost in bayamon, i drink loads of medalla and try and get to Palamino when I can. let me know! keep your rubber to the road (on the bike only!)

Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Three Wheeling

They used to call me Gringo Loco. I got bombed on Barrilito 3 Star ( worlds best rum) and tried to find the office of the place at 1 AM in Bayamon to personnally thank somebody. Not a good idea ! Next time you pass the Rocktenn plant in the Bayamon industrial park, give them the finger for me !

Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Pro Wrench

they always call me that. love the barrelito. consider the finger to Rocktenn given.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: that water pump looks like it has more silicone around

Yep, and dealer 40 miles away wanted $18 for a paper WP gasket. Plus I was inspired by LR2D2 to use the Oklahoma grade RTV, in ten gallon size.

Quick Reply: Fan clutch question