Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.

I don't know any more details other than it was a Land Rover, but just in case, I am removing the fuse for the ABS pump in my DI. You can search in the news "Utah Land Rover" there are plenty of articles.

"Goodsell, 32, was severely injured in an accident March 9, when the brakes went out in the Land Rover he was driving. He was ejected from the vehicle and found unconscious, having suffered severe brain and head injuries, the Herald Journal of Logan, Utah, reported." A 911 transcript reveals the harrowing moments before the accident.

“My brakes went out,......"

Read more: Man who crashed on his way to propose to girlfriend dies of injuries - NY Daily News

Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And how will removing the ABS fuse prevent your brakes from going out . . .?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brutal. Didn't say if it was a D1 or D2. Sounds like it was worse than ABS as he had time to make a call and say his breaks were going out. My D1 rolls its ABS from time to time but always comes too a second or two later...usually right after starting up. I should probably remove the fuse.

Probably ought to check the entire breaking system if you're feeling nervous or careful.

Figures you get a comment in the News...."note to self: don't buy a Land Rover: Very overrated vehicle as are Range Rovers." - Night Fury.

Wonder what the Night Fury Drives. Eh Kit?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
And how will removing the ABS fuse prevent your brakes from going out . . .?
D1's are infamous for the ABS not working properly. It's very scary when this happens. The pedal goes to the floor and vibrates but you have no brakes. I pulled my fuse and ABS light a long time ago.

The truck in the crash was a P38. Weird how he called 911 but didn't put his seat belt on.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice how the OP is leadfoot and the RIP drivers pedal "was stuck to the floor" and he didn't have a seatbelt on...

Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, first of all the ABS can fail and you can still stop. Who knows what the condition of his ABS/brake system was before the crash?
And I would also ask, how is pulling the fuse on your ABS going to save you back side? You truck, with a working ABS system will outstop it self compared to not having it hooked up.

Winching

Originally Posted by fishEH
Weird how he called 911 but didn't put his seat belt on.
wonder if that was the truck's fault too?

surely would have lived if hed had his belt on.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“I think if he had been wearing a seat belt, he would have got up and walked away,” Perry said.

He noted that while the Land Rover was severely damaged, the passenger compartment of the vehicle was almost completely intact.

/thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Rock Crawling

True that the consequences would have been minor if he had been wearing the seat belt, but that has nothing to do with the brakes failure. Ifs don't help. Wearing the seat belt does not help much falling of a cliff, but that is another if.
We know for a fact that the brakes failed. The probability of brake failure is very minimal in today's cars. But, I rather rely on the experience of the few who have lived the actual experience of brake failure on their DIs on this forum, and some of them are pretty good at maintaining their cars.

Quick Reply: Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.