Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any specifics on how having ABS running in a D1 causes the brakes to fail, and not having ABS running prevents that?

all ABS systems that im aware of have bypasses in them...

Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Even with full brake loss you could use engine braking followed by the e-brake to stop.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
any specifics on how having ABS running in a D1 causes the brakes to fail, and not having ABS running prevents that?

all ABS systems that im aware of have bypasses in them...
Yeah, when the ABS system detects an error, the D1 system, just like everyone else's shuts down and the conventional brake should work as expected without ABS. The problem with the D1 is that the system doesn't think there is a problem until too late. I just thinks you've got wheels locked up, and it modulates all the pressure away from those wheels until you have almost no braking power at all.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with the ABS is the ABS activates, but the valve stays shut instead of opening and closing, thereby stopping fluid from reaching the calipers. No brakes at all. This is an uncommon occurrence, but does happen even to an assumed properly maintained system. Lesson is, wear your seatbelt, and if you doubt your ABS, pull the fuse to disable it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No ABS here not really needed when you know how to drive

Old 03-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone removed the whole ABS system as well?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will relate to all of you the actual events I encountered soon after I purchased my 97 DI. It had 112,000 miles on it. The ABS light was on when I bought it. The little lot I bought it at included a 6 month warranty and asked that I wait a month then claim the light just came on and take it in. Within the first two weeks or so I had three events where the brake pedal pulsated but provided zero braking. Luclily I was driving locally at low speeds and was basically able to manuever out of each of the three situations.

I called Bobby Rahal LR/Jag/Bently/MB/Volvo Kingdom and make arrangements for them to take a look at it. They did accept the warranty and told me they needed to order some parts and they were not comfortable with me driving it as is and they gave me a "free" loaner (RAV) to use until mine was ready.

They replaced the ABS ECU as well as serviced the front swivel ***** and a few other things. I declined the Window ECU replacement as that would have cost me big bucks but the ABS ECU was covered.

Everything was fine for a few weeks, then the same problem repeated, this time at a faster driving speed. Hit the brake pedal, it pulsated but again, no braking. Pulled the ABS Fuse under the hood, brakes worked fine ever since.

As far as pulling the PARKING BRAKE at cruising speed and locking the driveshaft up is not something I want to count on to stop that 4500 pound sled. But it is yours so do as you please.

Hope you survive the crash.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The parking brake is just that...a parking brake. It is commonly incorrectly referred to as an emergency brake. Never were they designed to stop the vehicle, but rather to hold the vehicle stationary on an incline(or decline...). Using the parking brake(especially one on the drive shaft) can quickly destroy the brake(sure, I know you know someone that has been using it that way for years).

Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, they probably learned how to drive with one of those drifting cars. Personally I would never ****** up that Discovery Parking brake while underway, I would rather maintain controlled steering.

Can you imagine the damage if you did lock that beast up at 65mph?

I also have never "drifted" except on X box and I would not abuse any of my previous cars that way.

I hardly ever have to use my brakes at all for normal driving unless some idiot pulls out in front of me. And fewer do that after taking one look at my Discovery.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I agree, first of all the ABS can fail and you can still stop. Who knows what the condition of his ABS/brake system was before the crash?
And I would also ask, how is pulling the fuse on your ABS going to save you back side? You truck, with a working ABS system will outstop it self compared to not having it hooked up.
You've been away from DI's for to long Mike.

On the DI when the ABS fails you loose ALL braking ability, ALL!!!!!
The ABS on a DI sucks and does not work very well even when it does work properly.
My wife almost rear-ended a school bus about 4 years ago, it was a dry sunny spring day, she hit the brakes, the brake pedal got rock hard and vibrated as the ABS kicked in, but she did not slow down at all.
So she pumped the brake pedal and after 2-3 pumps she had brakes again, she refused to drive the truck after that, I dont blame her.
I pulled the ABS PUMP fuse that night after work and have not looked back, the truck stops fine, no skidding in rain or snow, but then again I drive for a living and I know how to stop.

Quick Reply: Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.