Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Yeah, they probably learned how to drive with one of those drifting cars. Personally I would never ****** up that Discovery Parking brake while underway, I would rather maintain controlled steering.

Can you imagine the damage if you did lock that beast up at 65mph?

I also have never "drifted" except on X box and I would not abuse any of my previous cars that way.

I hardly ever have to use my brakes at all for normal driving unless some idiot pulls out in front of me. And fewer do that after taking one look at my Discovery.
People have done that, and grenaded their t-case.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Has anyone removed the whole ABS system as well?
It's on my To-Do list. Its pretty darn simple. Just need a couple T fittings.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw a thread on here a couple of years ago where someone removed the WABCO and did away with the ABS totally. Do a search and see what you find.

I am sure the T-case would suffer dire damage at a high speed Parking Brake lockup. And maybe driveshafts as well.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I saw a thread on here a couple of years ago where someone removed the WABCO and did away with the ABS totally. Do a search and see what you find.

I am sure the T-case would suffer dire damage at a high speed Parking Brake lockup. And maybe driveshafts as well.
I'll bet the t-case would have survived if locked. The diff pins are supposedly very weak because they are notched to overlap to allow for the 4 pinion gears. Ashcroft sells a custom, stronger version.

Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the ABS out of my '97. The ECU is still in the dash because I'm lazy, but the Wabco modulator unit went in a dumpster close to 3 years ago. The RAVE shows routing for the lines of a non ABS truck.

The proportioning valve has one port for the front brake feed plugged, simply remove it and you now have a feed for each front brake line. The rear can either use the "T" piece from a Defender to join the lines from the rear to the single port at the proportioning valve, or use the "T" at the rear axle to link the 2 lines to one of the rear feeds.

I chose to buy a rear flex line for a chevy and change the flare fittings where the steel lines attach on the diff housing. I had to run a new steel line all the way back anyway since mine were both rotted.

I did remove the ABS bulb from the dash because it was annoying. But I have no more scary"is it going to stop?" episodes.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

its a P38 its possible the modulator was bad to begin with and he drove around with an abs light on. Its also possible with the gas pedal stuck he probably hadn't taken care of the vehicle very well. Plus driving 80 mph and no seat belt will guarantee a sure fire death no matter what would have happened. You can't guarantee your old vehicle could develop a leak from the brake pedal, the modulator, the brake lines or even the brake pads. Regardless you always keep it in shape and wear your seat belt. Its also possible the air bag light was on and he never fixed it. Maintance is key to keeping your vehicle safe.

The obvious things was A gas pedal stuck, select Neutral first. always select neutral, don't call 911. You are an idiot.
B, ebrake if your brakes go out then its possible the gas was stuck and the brakes faded from heat. Still neutral would have gotten the vehicle to slow down and the ebrake would have eventually slowed the vehicle.
and finally, my gf is a paramedic and no matter what wear the damn safety belt. She tells me that without your seatbelt on the risk of severe damage and death are go way up.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do we worry about the t-case and driveshafts going out if you pull the park break at 65 mph? I think if I had a problem with my breaks, I would shift to gear 1, then pull the park break, and pump the regular break pedal.. Also, I would keep both my hands on the wheel as much as possible. When it comes to life or death, who cares about a T-case, drive shaft, transmission, or anything else that could break... Thats just me.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OilSpot: Pulling the ABS fuse will prevent loss of total braking in a Discovery I due to an ABS failure. If the genius that designed this braking system had any iota of intellect he would have had it merely take the ABS operation off line and not result in a total loss of brake functionality.

If it was another cause, that could be totally different. If he was running 80 in a poorly maintain Rover and his first reacton was to grab his cellie, then he basically contributed to his own death by his actions.

And yes I do care aout avoiding total destruction of the vehicle attempting to stop it in some less than intelligent fashion. At least minimize the damage.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amen!

OilSpot: Pulling the ABS fuse will prevent loss of total braking in a Discovery I due to an ABS failure. If the genius that designed this braking system had any iota of intellect he would have had it merely take the ABS operation off line and not result in a total loss of brake functionality.

If it was another cause, that could be totally different. If he was running 80 in a poorly maintain Rover and his first reacton was to grab his cellie, then he basically contributed to his own death by his actions.

And yes I do care aout avoiding total destruction of the vehicle attempting to stop it in some less than intelligent fashion. At least minimize the damage.
I hate ABS anyway.... I will take the fuse out tomorrow. I think that this guy was a idiot because grabbed his phone first.. He should of put his seat belt on. That could of saved him right there... I just rather live; destroy the rover rather than die; and destroy the rover.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
I just rather live; destroy the rover rather than die; and destroy the rover.
I think Benjamin Franklin said that once.

Quick Reply: Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.