Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

I must be unique, I corrected my ABS with Google and a paper clip.

I'd worry about hard line rupture, driver's side front. Anybody check theirs, nah.

Seat belts are for flapping sounds while the window is down.

Hysteria and half truth party.....now I know why I didn't get an invite.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been most entertaining to read if one ignores the fact that a life was lost. It amazes me how quickly people jump into conclusions without facts and believe the victim to be a lesser man calling him an idiot. It is evident that most have never been even close to a situation where the brakes are gone. For many the seat belt is the answer....yeah how about approaching a red light with pedestrians crossing? Some say there is enough engine power to stop....really? with auto transmission down hill, sharp curve? the wrongly called emergency brake.....give me a brake. The best performing parking brakes go to the rear wheels, not the shaft, and even those in a emergency are close to useless when you consider that 75% of the braking power is in the front axle. If you pull on the parking brake on a Disco at speed I can tell you what would happen in terms of stopping: NOTHING. The wieght of the car and momentum will override that brake like nothing is there. I had a "distracted" friend pull out of my drive way with the parking brake firmly applied, after one block there was a very bad smell and no parking brake.
I have been there, I was driving down a canyon in a Range Rover classic with a full load of family and gear plus a trailer with a couple of ATVs when the brakes failed. There was no accident, I was able to get things under control and come to a stop and I can tell you that none of the non senses I've hear here would have worked in that case. I had a front tire come off at 60 mph... No accident either, only one hour looking for the tire in a corn field. I can hear all this gurus about how that would not happen to them because they maintain their cars better, they would know way before that the tire is getting lose, blah blah. I have been lucky. My only point here is that people is too quick to judge without knowledge.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I must be unique, I corrected my ABS with Google and a paper clip.
A person can certainly do that, fix the ABS. The problem is that even with a correctly functioning ABS it can fail without warning and leave you with no brakes, or at least not enough brakes to stop in time. This happened to me in both our discoveries. In the '95 I was lucking there were no cars approaching the intersection I crossed when I suddenly had no brakes. In the '97 it just happened when approaching an intersection where I wanted to turn and all I did was miss my turn.

On the question of how to remove, here are the two designs.

ABS
Name:  abs.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  7.7 KB

Non-ABS
Name:  non-abs.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  7.3 KB

The same proportioning valve is used (as Higgs mentioned). The non-ABS systems uses a different MC part number but the ABS one works find with the non-ABS system.

I'm assuming the driver was called an idiot for not wearing his seatbelt. It's unfortunate he died, and certainly brakes failing and accelerator sticking are serious matters, but that doesn't change the fact that, based on the accident narrative, he would have walked away if he'd had his seatbelt on.
As for putting it in neutral, etc., yes, good things to do, but many people aren't taught what to do in situations like this and if a person doesn't have a good understanding of vehicles then you can't fault someone for being uneducated. For way too many people D=go and brakes=stop and they don't know there might be an alternative.

Last edited by antichrist; 03-22-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I can see in RAVE, there are 4 ABS fuses.

IS there a specific one to pull, or do you pull them all?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're not jumping to conclusions. We're looking at facts you posted. Something seems fishy.

Brakes fail, Gas pedal stuck, No seatbelt driving next to cliffs = call 911? = not idiot? How long does it take to pick up your phone and even dial 911? Ok fine...so it said he was doing 80. If you can somewhat drive, you can hold a vehicle on the road.

I just don't want a vehicle to get a bad reputation for someone who doesn't know how to handle it. Or for negligence. You saw were the guy posted "lesson learned, don't buy a land rover"...

I've been in a couple "almost" accidents like yourself. One was brakes not working properly and I made the adjustments, like you, to correct the issue and avoid an accident. I'm not trying to stir the pot or **** anyone off but come on man.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh.0
Brakes fail, Gas pedal stuck, No seatbelt driving next to cliffs = call 911? = not idiot? How long does it take to pick up your phone and even dial 911? Ok fine...so it said he was doing 80.
Right there we know the media is lying about what happened. Land Rovers can't get up to 80mph...

Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Josh, maybe I was a bit harsh. Not my intention either. I hope we can take it as just a friendly conversation. The kind you would like to have on a deck with beer and some grilled hamburgers. You mention the phone call and the time it takes to call. More than likely you are right and it was a waste of precious time, but maybe he had one of those fancy hands free devices where he just push a button on the steering wheel, who knows. One think that sticks out is the statement of no brakes and gas pedal stuck. What are the chances of both things happening?
I agree with you on the damage to the brand reputation. I hope most readers are smart enough to overcome that. I started this thread just because the accident remaind me that some guys here have had issues with their brakes on their DIs. Mine has never failed, but I do trust these guys here and decided to take their word for it. Look at all the mess created about toyota's gas pedal getting stuck and the people who died...... I am shooting at my foot here, but I could not read all those stories without concluding that half of the people should not be driving if they could not manage a situation like that. I think a at least a couple of those were not very bright. hum

Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

What if it where a Toyota? Would this even be a topic here?

Tom I found the blink codes with my ABS light off because they locked up while entering a very busy thoroughfare. Had to have surgery to remove the seat cushion. I found that the ABS box had hard faulted, bought a replacement from Paul Grant. Other than wheel sensor creep I haven't had any repeated surgeries....and we have many iced roads and monster buck White Tails.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Right there we know the media is lying about what happened. Land Rovers can't get up to 80mph...
Here we go again..... You must have a 1970 Land Rover diesel, like the one I learned how to drive in. Top speed was 55 mph and at that speed it was shaking like a dog with distemper. If you pushed it to the limit going downhill, it would reach 60mph and it would spew all the engine oil through the filler tube.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Here we go again..... You must have a 1970 Land Rover diesel, like the one I learned how to drive in. Top speed was 55 mph and at that speed it was shaking like a dog with distemper. If you pushed it to the limit going downhill, it would reach 60mph and it would spew all the engine oil through the filler tube.
I wish I had one...but until I leave my island, top speed my D1 will do is 55...

Quick Reply: Fatal Accident..... I am removing the ABS fuse.