Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

finally back on the road, small leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally back on the road, small leak

so after a month my rovers finally alive again. threw in a used transfer case(only paid 100 for the used case) after resealing it, serviced the transmission and changed its output seal, serviced the swivels, diffs and brakes, and installed a good shifter to fix the bad diff lock, and a good exhaust. took her offroading to "test" everything and it all worked perfectly, transfer case is very quiet, you can't even hear it while driving.

anyways, i checked for leaks and low and behold, after the first long drive there's a small leak. its leaking from an o-ring on the intermediate shaft on the front side of the case, one of the 2 seals i didn't replace since i didn't disassemble the case. leaked before off roading after driving there, not durring or after off roading, but after the drive home. so its just at freeway speeds. its a small leak and i keep seeing you guys rave about white shepherd, and that seams like it'd be perfect for this, but how much would i use? any other input? im not gonna pull it again for this, im just pissed that the one thing i didnt reseal is leaking.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Says for 4-6 quart oil system, TC is 5 pints, so half a bottle should be good. You can also run 85W150 in the TC. The seal fix is some sort of ether based product, makes rubber swell, works best if driven for 2 hours after install, but may take a couple of days. Pix of an O ring soaked for 2 days in product.

Attached Thumbnails finally back on the road, small leak-swollen_o-ring.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ether? Or did you mean Ester, which is what many hydraulic oils are based on?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether, hard to spell, tastes bad, does not go good with chocolate or Ritz crackers....

All jokes aside, chemical handling safety is job 1. This stuff, in pure form, can cause all sorts of problems, like male reproductive issues, etc. You do not want in on your skin, in a cut, inhaling fumes, etc., etc. Many chemicals are also subject to these same sort of warnings, so be safe, wear personal protection (gloves, splash goggles, face shield, etc.). Crawling under a Rover and causing sixteen year old dried mud to fall in your eyes in not good either.

msds:

http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/27510.htm

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-07-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nasty stuff. I personally wouldn't use it, since I would probably forget and get it all over myself in a few months when I check the gear oil. I check my whole truck every oil change.

Is the vent line clear on this new case? a resticted vent can cause a leak. I don't see how it could leak that bad since there is so little oil in the case to begin with.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Good point, Higgs. The TC and the axles have vents, usually thru a "banjo bolt" to a "shepherd's crook" rigid plastic hose end. If they get plugged with mud chiggers, insect nests, etc., the oil in the axle or T/C can get out as it gives off vapor when it slowly evaporates and turns into pancake syrup. When heated, from normal operation, those fumes expand and vent thru the seals, taking some oil along for the ride. So he may need to treat the leak as is, and remove the cause. Of course if the cause is good old fashioned wear and tear, that will take replacement. Pix of a clogged and cleaned banjo bolt.

Of course the pure active ingredient in the leak seal is nasty, but there may not be too much of it in there, probably mixed with something else. Insurance company and lawyers would make short work of it if it was really unsafe in the formulation we buy. But I would not dip my Oreo cookie in it.

Attached Thumbnails finally back on the road, small leak-p1030610.jpg   finally back on the road, small leak-p1030615.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Mudding

thanks for the input. if i remember correctly, the vent is clear. it isn't a bad leak and there are 2 seals in that side of the tc on that shaft, so its likely just age. imma take my chances and use the leak stopper stuff, so thanks for the warning bout chemicals, i wouldnt have thought about it otherwise.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Don't be put off by the warnings, if you read the MSDS sheet on most stuff it is pretty grim, based on the material being 100% strength. But once you have pulled (yanked) the plastic seal off the top of a bottle of "X" and had a couple of drops flip up into your eyeball and end up in the ER... I have a t-shirt on that one. And it doesn't matter if it is bleach, Roundup herbicide, bandaid-in-a-jar formula 505, etc. Moral - chemical splash goggles are cheap and handy to have around, even if you are just greasing stuff under the truck. Dirt gets in your eyes, you jerk your head, the muffler clamp bolt doesn't move, and you scalp bleeds better than the brake system.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Mudding

yea we all have those moments. the worst of the stuff ive got in my eyes workin on this truck has been while wearing safety glasses, it never fails haha. i work on caterpillar equipment, and i can tell ya i come across some nasty stuff on the off highway side of things.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether, hard to spell, tastes bad, does not go good with chocolate or Ritz crackers....

All jokes aside, chemical handling safety is job 1. This stuff, in pure form, can cause all sorts of problems, like male reproductive issues, etc. You do not want in on your skin, in a cut, inhaling fumes, etc., etc. Many chemicals are also subject to these same sort of warnings, so be safe, wear personal protection (gloves, splash goggles, face shield, etc.). Crawling under a Rover and causing sixteen year old dried mud to fall in your eyes in not good either.

msds:

http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/27510.htm

That is one of the reasons I tell newbies to treat the Disco like it is a "new girlfriend" they just met at closing time in a sleazy bar. You better suit up like a gynie, you do not want any of those fluids or residual crap to get in your eyes, nose, or mouth when you crawl underneath her!

You could go blind or worse.

When I was in the Navy on a Corrosion Control Team (Crud Crew) painting aircraft in the hangar bay while we were at sea, we used MEK or even MIK to wash our hands with to get the paint off. Found out later it will go right thru the skin into your bloodstream and damage your internal orgams.

Quick Reply: finally back on the road, small leak