Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Finally got a D1 but Houston Ive got some problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got a D1 but Houston Ive got some problems

After looking at 8-10 Discos over the last year and not finding what I wanted I ended up buying one off of Ebay (maybe not so bright) Although it seems to be sold and fairly clean I have a small laundry list of things that dont work are these items worthy of a bitch? For the record this truck was list as clean and solid, runs and drives 100%

Its a 98 LE with 82k and the heads were recently done.

1. When it arrived it wouldnt start had to charge the battery buts its testing bad and barely starting the car- bought a new one $96 Advanced
2 ABS light is on
3. Front moon roof does not work at all
4. Passenger seat does not heat
5 front and rear turn signals work but the front markers do not- probably the head light switch??
6 CLD works front to back but not side to side
7 When I got it running it died in less than 5 minutes- out of gas?!?!

Im thinking the battery, ABS light and front marker lights( wont pass PA inspection without them) are things this guy should cover (Roverclassic.com) The rest is pretty natural for a truck of its age- thoughts??

Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

2. there is some reset you can do to the ABS system on a D1 do a search on here
3. Do you hear the motor trying to open it or not at all?
4. the whole seat or just part of the seat? if its the whole seat check the fuse if its part its one of the elements is burnt out.
5. is it just the front or the sides as well?
6. you need to get some grease and spray the linkage and see if you can work the handle it most likely was never used and ceased up. if worse comes to worse you will have to dissasemble it clean it up and regrease it and put it back together again.
7. did the guage show it had gas in it when you turned the key? it could be a fuel pump if you have fuel in it.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The ABS light will stay on until you go over 5mph, that is normal, it is a self check.
If it is staying on all the time it could be almost anything, from a bad wheel speed sensor to a bad ABS module.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC1749.cfm
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC1750.cfm
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AMR5557.cfm
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6...scovery-i.aspx

This guy wont fix anything, you will be buying it as-is, he might cover the battery but thats all.
In the tech section there is a how to on finding out what is wrong with the ABS.
Once you find out what is wrong start a new thread and we can help you.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
2. there is some reset you can do to the ABS system on a D1 do a search on here
3. Do you hear the motor trying to open it or not at all?
4. the whole seat or just part of the seat? if its the whole seat check the fuse if its part its one of the elements is burnt out.
5. is it just the front or the sides as well?
6. you need to get some grease and spray the linkage and see if you can work the handle it most likely was never used and ceased up. if worse comes to worse you will have to dissasemble it clean it up and regrease it and put it back together again.
7. did the guage show it had gas in it when you turned the key? it could be a fuel pump if you have fuel in it.
2. I wouldnt know- havent taken it more than 10 feet and its driving me crazy
3. notta peep I think the motor is DOA
4. the whole darn thing- for the record the drivers seat works great! guess my wife is gonna freeze her caboose off
5 its just the front (although the passenger side bulb is burnt out but the drivers side flashes)
6 Just did that for the first time yesterday
7 added 2 gals from the mower gas can- all is well ( you would think el douche bag could have put $10 in the tank??

Spike my thoughts exactly although I might send ebay an " Item not recieved as discribed" complaint and tie his money up for a while if he wont kick up for a battery at least!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're referring to the front markers meaning the turn signals, they don't come on w/ the headlights. Their turn signals only. If you mean the marker lights in the bumper end caps, probably the bulb holders. I think I had to replace all of mine, corroded. The front markers are in the headlights themselves(called "city lights"), takes the same bulbs as the side markers.

Before resetting you're abs light, make sure the front sensors are seated all the way down(it's right in the top of the spindle-only thing w/ a wire on the front hub)

Sunroof could be fuse,switch,relay,ecu,or motor.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, yes, and the abs light stays on until you hit 5-10 mph, then goes out if all is right

Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The sunroof tracks on these go bad, if it is closed and not leaking let the sleeping dog lie.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when replacing those bulbs buy some dielectric grease and put it down in the socket it will prevent water from getting in the connection. also good for plug wires.if the sunroof is the motor I have two working ones,the tracks were bad and are now sealed shut.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you think to do a pre-purchase inspection? Once bought it's pretty much your problem it seems.

You most likely will need to pull the center console out and drill out the rivets securing the cover on the transfer case shift lever to gain access to the CDL (side to side) linkages.

I had to on my 97. Check out the other threads on here about CDL linkages and you will find a lot of info on the subject.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=35129

Welcome to the World of Discovery brought to you by Land Rover..............

It will be an exciting but challenging journey with lots of pitfalls.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-25-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Drifting

hey guys thanks for the info. I was (wrongly) assuming that the front markers would come on with the head lights. I guess I just need to replace the pass side fender bulb- looks like a blast to access!! Spike Im with you- Im not touching that damn sunroof!! Oh Im happy to say that everything that holds oil- engine, trans, diffs all leak like a SOB! my garage floor looks great with softball sized drip marks. I work second shift tomorrow so that gives me 6 or so hours to tear into this thing. Stay tuned for more exciting "Discoverys" no pun intended

Quick Reply: Finally got a D1 but Houston Ive got some problems