Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

It was fine and now no start

Old 01-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default It was fine and now no start

Advice needed... I replaced my oil cooler lines (upper and lower) and then replaced my coolant lines and thermostat/gasket. Tried to start the disco and no go. It cranks but doesn’t fire.

98 disco 1

Ran fine prior to the upgrades

All fuses are good

Fluid levels are good

Thoughts?

Old 01-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 358 Likes on 281 Posts

Possibly related to something that was disturbed during your work. Start by checking for spark and fuel pressure and go from there. Did you disconnect the battery when working? Not sure what alarm system setup the 98s have but apparently later models can benefit from cycling the locks a bunch of times if the immobilizer is activating.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Ahab, I went ahead and cycled through the lock sequence a half dozen times with a freshly charged battery. So this morning after checking fuel and spark, worked on cranking her over. Wouldn’t start in park, so shifted to neutral with a foot on the brake and got her to sorta run, I wish I would have videoed it...
it was a really rough, almost violent start and then it chugged along at around 500+/- rpm for about a minute and died. Next start just as rough, same idle and as I slowly gave light pressure on the accelerator I was able to get her to rev up and start idling normal. I took it for a spin and after a couple of hesitations from the engine at first, and running it through all the gears and getting it up to speed and temperature, it seems “good” for now. My code reader is not saying there is anything going on.
Things I noticed during service:
  1. multiple orings were missing from the oil cooler lines (may be floating around in the system, hopefully the filter catches most of the parts) the others were broken and or in the wrong place.
  2. on the coolant line , all were about to fail (soft, or brittle or leaking past the too tight hose clamp) PO said he had just changed them?!
  3. Between the upper hose and the thermostat housing was a fair bit of grit(read sand) built up in the crevices.

Thoughts on on any of this?

Old 01-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

gonna throw this out there - crank position sensor - your symptoms sound like what others have experienced with a crank position sensor either bad, bad wire or bad bracket.

i believe its located quite close to the oil cooler line connections