Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

FJ80 Coils in Disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FJ80 Coils in Disco

Hey fellas, I acquired a full set of FJ80 coils, I'm going to install them on my Disco for a 2-2.5" lift. Guys are doing this on Pirate succesfully and it rides really well and works well according to them. So ANYONE on this forum done this?. I'm researching the subject and from what I'm gathering its a direct swap in and swap out.......might have to flip the spring retainer mount upside down, not sure if thats the case, so I thought I'd ask. I'm not a member of Pirate so I couldnt ask there. Tahnks in advance.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Mudding

This is a post on the subject from Pirate 4x4

"I have them on my disco. There is a year that I can't recall when the length changed, so I have the longer ones in the rear and shorter in the front.

You need to flip the lower spring seat then the smaller diameter coils at one end will fit inside the spring seat.

I like them and have not noticed a problem with sagging over 3 to 4 years use."

Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Mudding

In case anyone remembers I had gotten a free RRC with 2" lift springs that I was gonna use. Well the RRC ended up going to my buddy who's now fixed everything and it runs sweet now, so instead of parting out the RRC I now have another buddy who I can wheel with in a Rover. Thats why I want to use the 80 springs............besides that and I'm a cheap Bastar*!!. oh yeah..............4th child on the way and possibly its another Son........4 boys WOW

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AKdisco
In case anyone remembers I had gotten a free RRC with 2" lift springs that I was gonna use. Well the RRC ended up going to my buddy who's now fixed everything and it runs sweet now, so instead of parting out the RRC I now have another buddy who I can wheel with in a Rover. Thats why I want to use the 80 springs............besides that and I'm a cheap Bastar*!!. oh yeah..............4th child on the way and possibly its another Son........4 boys WOW
Congrats on #4. What is the price advantage of using FJ80 springs instead of a lift kit?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Mudding
Default hey

Well for starters most guys who lift their FJ80's just toss the stock coils OR let them go for real cheap, in my case 50 bucks for all 4 coils. The stock 80 coils are supposed to be longer and still pretty supple springs for a good ride. I will find out, if I dont like them atleast It'll buy me sometime till I can save up for a real lift.

Secondly thanks for the blessing on #4

Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 4 as well, but got there 2X2...CONGRATS! must be cold and boring on that Island...

I will be interested in how this goes, because I was getting ready to invest in a complete OME kit, but there are plenty of FJ80 springs around here that would greatly reduce my over all cost!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah let us know..are they the same diameter and everything

Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Mudding

Im getting ready to do this swap this weekend probally. I'll take some pics and make some notes and post up how smooth it goes and if there are any hang-ups. Ive been researching this alot last 2 days and all I read is that its an easy swap for a cheap 2-2.5" of lift. We will see, I only have $50.00 invested in it.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Im getting ready to do this swap this weekend probally. I'll take some pics and make some notes and post up how smooth it goes and if there are any hang-ups. Ive been researching this alot last 2 days and all I read is that its an easy swap for a cheap 2-2.5" of lift. We will see, I only have $50.00 invested in it.
Watching. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also watching. Please include your shock set-up.

Quick Reply: FJ80 Coils in Disco