Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

FJ80 Coils in Disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buddy of mine has some 7100 Bilsteins and some D90 shock towers he's going to give me.............we will see what I can do with those.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by groundandpound
I have 4 as well, but got there 2X2...CONGRATS! must be cold and boring on that Island...

I will be interested in how this goes, because I was getting ready to invest in a complete OME kit, but there are plenty of FJ80 springs around here that would greatly reduce my over all cost!
Where are finding these FJ80 springs? I am interested in this option also....

Old 03-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rearden Steel
Well I saw an ad on Craigslist about a guy who was parting out FJ80's so I called, he had sold one set already and just had a set of fronts left. I then hopped on our local 4x4 club website here in Anchorage and put in a "Wanted to buy" ad for some fj80 coils. I did this because I know a couple guys and have seena couple guys banging around Anchorage with nicely lifted FJ80's so I know they probally still had the stocker coils lying around their garage or yard. Sure enough a guy I kinda know Greg sent me a message saying he had a full set for $50.00. I kinda know him because I used to have a 78 FJ40 and was wearing my "FJ40" t-shirt at the gym and him being a toyota guy asked me if I had one and we BS'd about it forawhile.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Mudding

Also if anyone is interested you can check out our local website up here in Anchorage. Its Alaska4x4network.com just make up a user name and log on, weve got some pretty cool pics in our "trip reports" section as well as some cool rigs being built in the "build" section. If ya wanna see what kinda terrain we like to bang around in check it out.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Mudding

Ok, its been confirmed, al thats gotta be done is to flip the bottom spring perches upside down, I've never dealt with the rover spring perches yet so are they welded on and will I need to cut them off to flip them??? I guess I'm asking if they are welded to the axle, my Rover is at home and Im working so I cant run out and check 1st hand.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, not welded. They just bolt on.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kenk
Nope, not welded. They just bolt on.
Excellent answer my friend

Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FJ8's

Originally Posted by Rearden Steel
Rearden - Here locally in the MD/DC/VA area, there are a BUNCH of pick yards in VA as well as in Fredrick MD that have some of these. There are also a couple 4X4 shops here that literally just toss them after upgrading some guy's FJ with more $$ that brains. Here these are straight mall crawlers/grocery getters/Soccer Kid Shleppers <-- just like most of the Land Rovers.

However, I put a "Trade/Swap" add on Craigslist and a guy that "upgraded" his was willing to trade me some of his old original stuff (springs/shocks and his old tires) and for putting a secure wireless network in his house. (with 4 Windows PC's and 1 MAC) <-- He even offered to kick in $500 because Geek Frauds had quoted him $2K.

For all on here though, that would be the equivalent of paying $500 for a "pad swap" brake job. It is very easy to do - especially if you can read and follow directions.

I ended up doing the installation with parts to be named later - and we BOTH walked away feeling like we made out the better.

Now, I am thinking I will go get those from him for my '96.

Although - he has an '88 Land Cruiser that needs work (runs, but needs tranny work) that he was willing to part with if I kicked in $500.

Regardless, there is a lot over here, and I would be happy to pick some up for you and send them over if your interested.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. Springs will e one of the first things I'll need to put on. I should of put them on with the new struts, but I didn't realize they where sagging as bad as they are until I had the truck on the road. Im using monro struts, so I'm guessing I'll have to stick with a stock length spring though.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Mudding

What else besides the springs need to be changed?

Quick Reply: FJ80 Coils in Disco