Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Found my coolant leak! Fix or replace oil cooling joint?

Old 04-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Found my coolant leak! Fix or replace oil cooling joint?

Hi Team:

This is regarding a 1996 Discovery I with just around 110k.

My son and I have been working through a few leaks. We've seen a bit of coolant on the ground lately, so have been trying to find where it was coming from. Finally found it. It's coming from the connection directly below where the upper radiator hose meets the radiator. So left hand side of the radiator. That connection which looks to be where the engine oil pumps through the radiator.

Where that metal pipe meets the radiator is loose...I can pull it back and forth and a tiny space is created between the metal of the pipe joint and the radiator.

When I pull it back towards the engine, coolant comes out. When I push/hold it forward, no coolant leaks.

Any idea what needs to be replaced here? Maybe an O ring in there, or this joint all together, or maybe a whole new radiator? I'm searching all over and it doesn't seem like this is a replaceable part, or I just don't know what it's called.

Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Just to clarify, this is where my leak is. (Red circle/arrow). The movement and leak is between the copper colored part and the black of the radiator. No oil is leaking from here.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:22 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

If I understand you correctly, you are leaking coolant from that area. Which means there is a failure between the tank and the fitting. Not a failure between your hose and the fitting.

If that is the case, some JB Weld might do the trick. But I'm afraid it won't and you in for a new rad if your rad has the plastic tanks.

The following users liked this post:
themdg (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
If I understand you correctly, you are leaking coolant from that area. Which means there is a failure between the tank and the fitting. Not a failure between your hose and the fitting.

If that is the case, some JB Weld might do the trick. But I'm afraid it won't and you in for a new rad if your rad has the plastic tanks.
Thank you for your reply. You're correct that it's a failure between the fitting and the radiator and that it's causing coolant to leak.

I'm not sure if I have plastic tanks. I'll drain and dry that section and try some JB Weld, but will start looking towards replacing the radiator.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:49 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

If it is aluminum or brass a radiator shop can likely solder it back up for you.

themdg (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
If it is aluminum or brass a radiator shop can likely solder it back up for you.
Oh great. Thank you. This is my first run in with a radiator. I'll find out if it's a metal tank. If it is, I'll contact a radiator shop. If not, we'll try the JB first.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I would pull the rad and inspect it - likely the lower fins are dust if you already have a tank failure.
(have a second hand when pulling it out - it huge)

themdg (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

If you have the OE radiator ( ESR3687 ) with the Brass tanks you are far better off... have a look at the pic .
I know that is the passenger side (engine oil cooler) in the pic, but the other side that is leaking is the Auto Trans oil cooler.
Looks the same. That big brass tube in the pic is the cooler that lives in the radiator.

If you notice the large nut that holds the trans cooler to the radiator... between there is you leak.
IDK if there is a washer or seal ( there should be), but if not a radiator shop can braze around that nut.

You could also try to go real easy and tighten the large nut with a spanner wrench. Good Luck!

themdg (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by OverRover

You could also try to go real easy and tighten the large nut with a spanner wrench. Good Luck!
Thanks, that's very helpful seeing the parts like that. Just to be clear...this is indeed what my setup looks like. Looking at your first photo, my leak is between the black nut (which is flush with the radiator) and the radiator itself (which is what I believe you're saying.)

Are you saying I may be able to gently turn that black nut to tighten (or remove, and replace a gasket/seal)?

If not, that black nut may be able to be re-soldiered to the tank by my local radiator shop. In that case, I figured I'd have to remove the radiator and take it down there.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by whiskeynipple0088
I would pull the rad and inspect it - likely the lower fins are dust if you already have a tank failure.
(have a second hand when pulling it out - it huge)
Yeah, sounds like my best bet overall is to remove the tank, bring it to my local radiator shop and have them inspect and possibly fix that seal.

In the end, I bet I replace it with a new Radiator, which doesn't look to be too expensive ($200-$400). I see plastic and metal options, and with how hot my truck gets, I'd probably want to stick with metal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found my coolant leak! Fix or replace oil cooling joint?