Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front End Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Question

I hesitated to post this question because so much good information has already been posted here, especially on this topic but...

I am new to Discovery's and have recently purchased a 95 Disco I. I haven't quite found the answer to my question so I thought I would post a new thread.

It seems that overnight the Disco has developed a front end vibration at different speeds. Mainly around 55-60MPH. It's felt from the front tires up to the steering wheel.

I have a Jeep Wrangler that I have completely restored and have modified the suspension and understand how thing need to be "right" to keep from having these types of troubles.

My diagnosis consisted of jacking up the front end to look for problems with the suspension components, steering components and axle components.

The only thing that I have found is both sides have a slight amount of play in the wheel bearings. If I put my hands and 12 and 6 o'clock on the tire I can feel a little play in the bearings on both sides.

They have not started to make any type of noise that would suggest that they are bad. Can they be tightened back up? Is this enough to cause the vibrations?

I don't want to pay for new wheel bearing rebuild kits if all I need to do is re-torque something.

Maybe swivel pins? I don't think that's the problem because it steers fine and doesn't seem to "road walk".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you can tighten the wheel bearing nuts.
As long as you're in there why not repack the wheel bearings?
The bearings are $15 each, 4 per axle if you want to replace them.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you have about the same amount of play when holding the tires at 9 & 3? If not, then your swivel pins very loose. Odds are good you have about the same amount and it's your bearings.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes you can tighten the wheel bearing nuts.
As long as you're in there why not repack the wheel bearings?
The bearings are $15 each, 4 per axle if you want to replace them.
Can you get the bearings out to repack them without removing the seals?

Originally Posted by antichrist
Do you have about the same amount of play when holding the tires at 9 & 3? If not, then your swivel pins very loose. Odds are good you have about the same amount and it's your bearings.
I do not have the same amount of play at 9 & 3.

Sounds like I may need to tighten the wheel bearing nuts and and set my swivel pin preload.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No, you would need to replace your hub oil seal, you dont have to but its $2 so why not?
You can just tighten the bearing nuts and see if the problem is then "solved", thats easy and takes only a few min each side.
Remove the dust cap, remove the cir-clip, remove the drive flange, tighten the hub nut and then check for play.
I use large Channel Lock pliers.
For the drive flange gasket I use black RTV.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Drifting

Here is an update...

The front end vibration turned into death wobbles at around 35MPH.

So I checked the bearings and they were good so I started into the swivel pins.

I spent over 5 hours on Saturday going through the process of checking and resetting the swivel pin pre-load.

Both the passenger side and driver side pre-load was around 3lbs before adjustment. I removed one shim per side and got both sides around 15lbs. This fixed the death wobble but I still have the vibration as described in my first post.

Here is what I have found:

1. The driver side thrust washers were almost gone! As in; they where almost broken to bits but where still in the form of a washer but not quite a circle.

2. The tie rod ends are still good but not for long. All four have broken boots and little to no grease left in them.

Here is what I am going to do:

1. I ordered new parts for the upper and lower swivel pins for both sides.

2. I ordered all four new tie rod ends

3. I ordered all new wheel bearing kits

My swivel ***** and gaskets look good, so I hoping these parts will take care of the problems.

Here is a question: How many shims should there be per side? There were only two per side. Should I get a shim kit?

Any thoughts or things I over looked?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Yes, get a shim kit. There isn't any set amount, the factory/dealers use what they need to arrive at the preload.

Maybe the Railco housing and bush you might want to add to the list. How's the pins look? You know, you should probably just get a kit and rebuild both sides....

Last edited by ihscouts; 12-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Drifting

The pins look good. There's no wear on them.

Can you get the railco bushing out without tearing the complete unit apart?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Yes. Straightforward.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Mudding

Please, CHECK YOUR TOE IN... I went completely thru the front end on mine and still didn't fix the death wobble.. Turned out it was toe'd out way too far and the track rod was frozen so even by turning a tie rod end it was still too far out or too far in...
Finally fixed the track rod adjuster and got it set right and now guess what.. NO more death rattle..

With the axle on stands and the front wheels off.. Measure the distance between the front and rear sides of the front brake rotors.....
This measurement should be essentially the same number except the front is a little big and the rear is a little small. They should just split a line.. I think on mine it was 53.5" or close to that... Check it... I'll bet you'll find your problem there...The toe out is 2mm....That's not much...

Also check the bolts holding the steering box to the frame...

John

Check this...

Last edited by JPSpen; 12-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Front End Question