Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front Head Light Water Inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Front Head Light Water Inside

Have never been "wading" - one head light has water drops all over the inside, which makes the light at night much more "soft focus" and spread out than the other normal one. Have left small "city light" out over two days in hot weather to let it dry out, no change. And no, the front lens wash down tubing is not plumbed into the light. Can't see any cracks.

Ant thoughts on how to get rid of this, or should I just change out the lamp housing?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe put it in oven on low with rice to draw moisture out.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put some high temp clear rtv around the seams. That's prolly where the moisture came in from. putting rice inside the assembly with low heat(maybe 180*) should pull the moisture out.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, so either approach still need to pull it out (otherwise how to retrieve rice). Perhaps a little air circulation as well. Like the RTV idea, could be a hairline crack my old eyeballs can't see.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a powerful shop vac?

A heat lamp?

A dessicant bag?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:21 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I had some cracks/holes in my headlights (DII) and used a high temp epoxy to seal them up. It worked great to seal everything up, but the epoxy turned yellow once the lights were heated up a couple times so it looks kinda fugly...

Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

The leaks maybe around the edges of the headlight. The black rubber gasket can conceal any weaknesses that could lead to leaks.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you remove the bulbs completely so the headlamp is not sealed the water may evap after a few days, park facing the sound during the day so the sun heats it up.
Otherwise like these guys said, remove it, reseal it and let it sit open side up to dry.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Removed it by turning the mount "fixings" about 15 degrees, they come out through a slot built in there for that purpose (to allow easy bulb change).

Took off the black rubber surround gasket. Cleaned and sprayed with silicone spray (maybe slow down the dry rot).

Pried glass front lens away from plastic main section. Found gray gasket material there. The lens and the plastic back "clam shell" together.

Scrubbed glass in and out.

Plastic main section is "surface silvered" to reflect light, some of mine had come off, and more would come off if vigorously cleaned. Cleaned what I could. I suspect that someone could spray the plastic reflector with "chrome" paint from the auto parts store, but temperature issues might pop up. I had a spare from a donor vehicle, but it was in worse shape than mine. Guess that old plastic left in sunlight is what it is.

Put a thin bead of RTV around the plastic channel and squuezed in the glass lens.

Pulled rubber outer seal back on, have to be careful because this old stuff is brittle.

Popped back in, plugged up, everything good. Just barely clears my brush bars to get in/out without removing bars.

Will post pix later.

All in all, a lot easier just to take it apart.

Attached Thumbnails Front Head Light Water Inside-p1120279.jpg   Front Head Light Water Inside-p1120280.jpg   Front Head Light Water Inside-p1120281.jpg   Front Head Light Water Inside-p1120283.jpg   Front Head Light Water Inside-p1120289.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-06-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Removed it by turning the mount "fixings" about 15 degrees, they come out through a slot built in there for that purpose (to allow easy bulb change).

Took off the black rubber surround gasket. Cleaned and sprayed with silicone spray (maybe slow down the dry rot).

Pried glass front lens away from plastic main section. Found gray gasket material there. The lens and the plastic back "clam shell" together.

Scrubbed glass in and out.

Plastic main section is "surface silvered" to reflect light, some of mine had come off, and more would come off if vigorously cleaned. Cleaned what I could. I suspect that someone could spray the plastic reflector with "chrome" paint from the auto parts store, but temperature issues might pop up. I had a spare from a donor vehicle, but it was in worse shape than mine. Guess that old plastic left in sunlight is what it is.

Put a thin bead of RTV around the plastic channel and squuezed in the glass lens.

Pulled rubber outer seal back on, have to be careful because this old stuff is brittle.

Popped back in, plugged up, everything good. Just barely clears my brush bars to get in/out without removing bars.

Will post pix later.

All in all, a lot easier just to take it apart.

Was that all covered in the RAVE?

Quick Reply: Front Head Light Water Inside